Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Single Tier eHERMS TriClamp (mostly) build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Single Tier eHERMS TriClamp (mostly) build

As with most brewery builds on here it seems this one has also been progressing slowly. We now have a lot of the materials and am hoping to progress quickly in the coming weeks. This is a joint venture between myself and another friend, effectively doubling the budget (haha). The brewery will be located at his place as he has more room, and as such I don't have too many pictures currently (I keep forgetting to take some).

Currently going to use 50L keggles for the vessles (not ideal, but its what we had easy access to) It will be fed with 240V 50A, and controlled via BrewTroller. Originally we were planning to fully automate with 1/2" motorized ball valves, however as time went on we got concerned about never getting this finished. We ended up deciding to forgo the motorized ball valves, although since we had already budgeted for them we ended up deciding to use that money for TC valves/fittings instead... We also had some concern as we wanted to hard plumb the setup the amount of cleaning/dis-assembly that might be required with 10-12 threaded motorized ball valves.

We will be silver soldering all the components, and we have had pretty good success with this so far. We have a 25ft 1/2" .035 SS coil for the HEX, and all hard plumbing will also be 1/2" .035 SS. CFC is 25' 1/2" .035" Copper tubing in 3/4" ID heater hose.

Next thing is to place another order from brewershardware for the TC valves, as you can see the handles interfere, so we'll either end up bending them or having new ones manufacteured. Otherwise we will have to add extensions to give the valves more space. I am waiting until I have the valves in hand to decide on this.

Attached is the solidworks model I have been using to plan it out. I have access to solidworks through work but only rarely have reason to use it, so this was a good excuse to get some more practice with it. Keep in mind the tubing routes/bends arn't likely ideal, we'll decide on this when it actually comes time to bend, right now its mostly for estimating required length. Also an earlier picture of the stand before the trays were done and welded on.

Any comments/feedback would be appreciated on the layout/valve layout. I have to do up a proper plumbing schematic also, I wanted to go ahead and get this post started as I have been putting it off for some time. I realize that this will not be a sanitary setup, sudden changes in pipe size, etc. A true sanitary setup was not the goal here.

I have some concerns if the TC sightglasses are worth doing, considering the loss of measurement range with the elbows and all.

tc-stand-render.jpg   stand-w-keggle.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Saved for future use.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well there doesn't appear to be much (re: any) in interest in this, but I thought I would post a few pics of the control panel build so far. anyway

Progress on the brewery is still slow, although we have received most of our TriClamp gear, and almost have all of the fittings soldered on the keggles.

Here's the panel so far, as mentioned its 50A 4 element (2x5500W 2x4500W), with selectors to power both the HLT & BK or power both elements in either at one time. I'll post the model of the front when I get a chance.

dsc01580.jpg   dsc01581.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Hogcrewer
Recipes 

Hey keep posting. I am currently using propane for my heat source. But at -40 it is becoming a PIA. I downloaded Kals pdf. I currently have a HERMS set up. But have been looking at a RIMS set up also.
Brewers Hardware has nice TC items. Take a look at Stout Tanks. His looks pretty nice also.\
Keep us the progress though.
Don

Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks good so far. Are you using a wiring diagram?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

@Hogcrewer: Thanks, almost all our TC stuff came from Brewers Hardware. They're a bit slow to respond at times which can be annoying, but theyve been very good to deal with otherwise. The odd other item came from Glacier Tanks, which also seemed good but I havnt had to deal with them for much.

@Maltose:
I did originally, although I haven't kept it current. Once I update it I will post it.

I also did a 3d model of the control panel interior to make sure I had room for everything. I'll echo what everyone else says here and buy bigger then you think you'll ever use!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Why did you decide to hard plumb it?

Looking forward to seeing it finished, I'm a sucker for tri-clamps.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

That solidworks model looks awesome. If you decided to go with the TC sight glass, what's your plan for that? Are you using the ones from glacier tanks, or whipping something up yourself?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah that's one sexy model! Looking forward to progress!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 82

dude, that control panel... lookin clean for as much stuff you had in there

Kegged Oktoberfest - Schwarzbier - Pale Mild
Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Nelson Sauvin honey Blonde - Porter

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Homebrewers are like drunk Rembrandt's... Painting the world with liquid love
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Quick Reply