Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Single element controller help, component check

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Single element controller help, component check

I'm planning a single element boiler, er, kettle and wanted to check with the gurus to see if what I already have might work. I'm somewhat of a nOOb here, and am getting some of the parts as I learn before building anything.

I've got an Omega 6100 On Off Temperature Controllers
that goes from 0-300F. It's 10A capable, ands says you can add an SSR.
Most simple builds seem to be based around the PSR-25. I know the PSR-25 isn't an SSR exactly, but could this Omega unit be used for my controller?

Also, I've already got probes for it as well. Assuming the Omega unit will work, would the front dial work as a sort of 1-100% potentiometer or could I actually use the probe for temperature feedback and it would control the element by using the temp gradients on the dial?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

I have no experience with that unit but it looks like it could work.

You would have to switch your SSR with a dc source via the relay contacts. You would also have to use a temp probe in your kettle (not necessary with PWM or PID's). I would probably choose a more suited option.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply