Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Single Brew Kettle question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Spritar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Single Brew Kettle question

So I'm working on designing an all-grain, all-electric set up but I'm doing it slowly because of budget. I have the BK (got a great deal on a 26 gal from Morebeer) and would like to get started right away with extract brewing (5-10gal) to build my skills while I aqcuire the rest of my equipment. I plan on putting a 5500w 240v element that I plan on running off of my dryer outlet (30A) until I get the brew room in my basement built and wired. So my question is do I need a controller to do extract with a BK? I plan on using a BCS eventually and using schematics from P-J and designs from Ohio Ed, etc (so many good resources on this forum). Is there some sort of very basic equivalent to a dimmer switch that I can use to control the boil or do I even need to worry about it with just extract? I saw someone discussing a heavy duty light switch but rather than on/off I would like to be able to dial it down if needed. If the consensus is to build the controller than that's what I'll do. Like I said I just want to get started right away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
snowblind5150
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Didn't want to hijack your thread

Your question is similar to my own, but didn't want to put all my questions in your thread.

I subscribed to your thread, but my question is here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/piecemeal-electric-implementation-273935/#post3379296

I'm jealous of your kettle, but I need to master 10-gallon batches before I jump up to 26 gallons.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Spritar
Recipes 

I'm going to talk to the master electrician at HD next time I go. Hopefully he'll have some answers for me.

I was going to start with an 8 gal but since I was planning to go 26 eventually when I saw the BK on sale at morebeer I snatched it up.

I'll post as soon as I learn more.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
snowblind5150
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I just found this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/manual-vs-electronically-controlled-heating-elements-241047/

I haven't read through all of it, but it's got 3 pages of discussion. Hopefully there's something usable in it.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Start doing searches for potentiometer and PWM (pulse width modulation). Most brewery control SW has a PWM setting and this can be programmed via PID as well. There are some DIY PWM threads here too. If you just need to boil and control the output, this might be the way to go.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
BigJim_inFLA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm on a similar path as you right now. I built an electronics kit DC motor speed control, which will act as a 12V PWM ($8.00). This will control the 40 amp SSR ($11.00). DC motor control has a potentiometer which allows me to adjust duty cycle of heating element. Dial it all they way up until boil, then turn it back to maintain rolling boil. I will reuse the SSR when I upgrade to PIDs and a full blown control panel.

I know I have the thread talking about the DC motor control linked. I will post it as soon as I find it.

edit: here is the link I found most useful:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pwm-show-us-how-221301/

Last edited by BigJim_inFLA; 10-12-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
snowblind5150
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thanks, shroomzofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomzofdoom View Post
Start doing searches for potentiometer and PWM (pulse width modulation). Most brewery control SW has a PWM setting and this can be programmed via PID as well.
This sounds like what I need, I just didn't know what the right search terms were.

You guys are awesome

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
snowblind5150
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim_inFLA View Post

edit: here is the link I found most useful:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pwm-show-us-how-221301/
I've got more reading to do. Thanks, BigJim.

Quick Reply