Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Simple SSR PWM power control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
audger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
It just seems like the PWM signal will trigger the SSR at a random point in the line AC waveform, and then even if the PWM signal opens during that half cycle the SSR won't actually open until the zero crossing. Maybe I'm just not understanding how the circuit works.
no, that is correct. you are just thinking too hard about how much it matters that the AC waveform and the PWM pulse are not synchronized. it dosent matter that much. the AC signal will cross zero 120 times per second, so the SSR will be alowed to turn off at any of 120 points over the course of a second. even if the PWM OFF signal was triggered half way thru one wave, its only going to add an additional four-1000ths of a second to the SSR ON time, until it hits zero and turns off.

it only starts to make an actual difference if you are driving the SSR at hundreds of hertz (which you shouldnt be doing, anyway). you ideally want the PWM signal running at only a few hz, and just vary the durration accordingly. in other words- to get 75% PWM, turn the SSR on for 750ms, and off for 250 (1hz). or on for 375ms / off for 125ms (2hz). you should not be switching it like 7.5ms on / 2.5ms off (100hz), for example.

if you are doing 750ms on / 250ms off, then you can see that zero-crossing wont make any noticable difference (754ms / 246ms, or 748 / 252- is close enough to 75%)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Ah ok thanks, I figured if the PWM frequency were fairly low it might work, I was thinking if it was like 10kHz or something it seems like it would just always trigger the SSR shortly after the zero crossing no matter the duty cycle and it would be on almost all the time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I was thinking if it was like 10kHz or something it seems like it would just always trigger the SSR shortly after the zero crossing no matter the duty cycle and it would be on almost all the time.
that is exactly correct, and is why non zero crossing SSRs are used when they need to be driven very fast. the problem with high frequency switching is that most of the heat generated in a MOSFET (which is the solid state switch inside a SSR), is not caused directly from current flowing (though obviously some heat is), but most heat is generated as the device transisions between on and off states. so the more often it switches between on and off, the more heat will be generated, even if the load is the same. this is one reason to keep the PWM frequency lower.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Built PCB

Full details on the electric brewing box at
http://beertech.blogspot.com/2012/09...c-brewing.html

dsc08503.jpg   dsc08504.jpg  

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com