Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Simple Electric Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Simple Electric Brewery

I'm moving to all grain soon. I currently brew with propane. I'm perfectly happy with it too. But I also want to move my brewing indoors. So that means I'll probably venture into electric as poisoning myself and my family isn't high up on my to do list.

I'm not interested in the fully automated systems, especially right now. I just want a system that I can set, monitor and maintain my HLT temps and boil temps. I'll be new to AG brewing so I really don't want to go so complex I screw it up. I'm a bit of a computer geek/DIY freak. There isn't many projects I won't tackle around the house.

I really liked Boerderij_Kabouter's rig. Though I'd like to make a simple control panel instead of the tool box http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simp...-build-147021/

Anyone else got some simple electric brewery ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Stellrbrewr
Recipes 

Get a johnson controls digital temp controller for $70, a pump for $100, and you could probably build a rims tube with a 4500w 240v heater element run at 120v for $50 or so bucks. do the 5 or 10 gallon round cooler conversion for about $50 as well. I don't know if thats too much money, but its a really simple design.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah I'm willing to spend the money in the relm of 500 to 800.

But I want it to be KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Well let me clarify...I want to keep it KISS. But I don't want it to look like the a drunken hillbilly (oh wait...I live in West Virginia...nevermind) did it.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver165 View Post
I'm moving to all grain soon. I currently brew with propane. I'm perfectly happy with it too. But I also want to move my brewing indoors. So that means I'll probably venture into electric as poisoning myself and my family isn't high up on my to do list.

I'm not interested in the fully automated systems, especially right now. I just want a system that I can set, monitor and maintain my HLT temps and boil temps. I'll be new to AG brewing so I really don't want to go so complex I screw it up. I'm a bit of a computer geek/DIY freak. There isn't many projects I won't tackle around the house.

I really liked Boerderij_Kabouter's rig. Though I'd like to make a simple control panel instead of the tool box http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simp...-build-147021/

Anyone else got some simple electric brewery ideas?
About the brewing indoors, I have not done this myself yet, but when I brew in the garage I produce a lot of steam during the boil. I wonder if it will be really steamy and humid to brew indoors without a fume hood or some other forced ventilation. It looks like Kal has a fan hood above his setup. How do people deal with the steam indoors? Back when I started with extract I did partial boils on the stove and I could use the range hood, but I don't want or can't be in the kitchen with the new brewery.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's something I'll have to address as well. It sure does make a lot of steam. The location of my planned brew kitchen is unfortunately in the center of the house. It didn't used to be. But post renovation it literally is in the middle of the basement. I'll have to run 20ft of duct work in any direction to make it outside! LOL I'll have to do some duct work and with an exhaust fan but that isn't a big deal.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brewing indoors does create steam but not nearly as much as brewing outside in winter. I do not have a vent hood (to the outside) just a kitchen fan and that works just fine.

I have brewed with the Simple Brewery in like 6 places now, and it has been fine everywhere.

Diver- If you list the top 10 attributes you want in a system I can help you get closer to your goal.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I brew indoors and bought an inline fan I vent out the window. Less than $100 and no steam to worry about. I brew 10 gallon batches with no problems.

I personally would not try to brew indoors without some type of ventillation. The steam is significant.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Here is Simple doing its thing at my buddies house last weekend. I love this brewery. I can literally brew and hit all my numbers while three-sheets to the wind.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Not sure just how big a batch you are looking for. IMO you only need a good kettle. this is a 15 gallon kettle with two two 3000 wart heating elements, Love controls, ( there are better controls out there) Temperature probe, and the safety float switch. What ever you do get a safety float switch you can cook your elements in seconds.

You can see the controlor and for this insulation i added a 30Amp GFI which is the second box on the wall

For all grain we used two 10 gallon coolers. the cycle was.
1 Heat the mash water
2 mash in
3 heat the sparge water (while mashing in)
4 Transfer the heated sparge water to the 2nd cooler and start sparging
5 run the wart into the brew kettle and start heating as soon as the elements (and float switch) are covered.

KISS it

18292d1291908800-range-extension-cord-outlet-inline-gfi-100_1679.jpg  

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Blane
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Here is Simple doing its thing at my buddies house last weekend. I love this brewery. I can literally brew and hit all my numbers while three-sheets to the wind.
Is it my imagination or are you heating up the tool box on the range? It looks like your burners are on. That's kind of tough on the electronics, don't you think?

Quick Reply