Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Simple eHERMS, following PJ's diagram w/ only 1 PID.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #21
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

That sounds great. I'm glad thet Grainger helped you work it out. Thanks for the update.

Regarding soldering with the switch. What I'm trying to say is to solder the wire to the crimp on terminal. You will be A-Ok with the terminal as a slip on to the switch post. No need to solder that. (Just trying to make sure I clarify that.)

Wish we lived closer. I'd loan you my HD soldering iron.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #22
renevdb
Recipes 

Don't solder after crimping as the heat and solder will weaken crimp. Just use a good crimper and your good to go.

Primary: Strong Belgium Blonde

Bottle: Abdij II, Wit, Cool Vienna, Dad's Dubbel

Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #23
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by renevdb View Post
Don't solder after crimping as the heat and solder will weaken crimp. Just use a good crimper and your good to go.
Sorry... I STRONGLY beg to differ.

On another note: Please define a "good crimp" for all of us reading this forum. What tool to use? Where to buy it? How do we know that it provides a "good crimp"?

Please inform us.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #24
ipscman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default E herms

I took my design from the electric brewery (http://www.electricbrewery.com) but simplified it to what I need which made it considerably cheaper and easier to build. Probably took two days total, once the parts were all here. System works fantastic. Dial in the temp and it sticks within 1/2 F. Couldn't be happier with it. I now have control of my mash temp and repeatability. Here are some pics:

I cannot recommend their site enough. Without their brains, I couldn't have put this together. They now have a boook you can download which makes it much easier. I spent hours looking at all of their pages and takinng notes. Bottomline it works great.

Just one guys experience.

Mark
Hidden Well Brewery
www.hiddenwellbrewery.com

Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
renevdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Sorry... I STRONGLY beg to differ.

On another note: Please define a "good crimp" for all of us reading this forum. What tool to use? Where to buy it? How do we know that it provides a "good crimp"?

Please inform us.
To get a good crimp use a ratchet crimper with the appropriate die. This will make sure the connector and cable are "welded" together under the high pressure. You will never be able to apply enough pressure using a plier as it will just squeeze and create a space somewhere else and weaken the connection. As example you can use one of these crimper's.

If you solder a crimp the copper will soften and break the "weld" made by the crimper. The gaps will then be filled by the soft solder making the crimp weak as it's hold together by the solder and any movement or vibration will crystallize the solder creating a bad connection.

My information comes from working with marine cabling for many years and seeing many different problems using soldered connections and only a few using crimping.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #26
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
To get a good crimp use a ratchet crimper with the appropriate die. This will make sure the connector and cable are "welded" together under the high pressure. You will never be able to apply enough pressure using a plier as it will just squeeze and create a space somewhere else and weaken the connection. As example you can use one of these crimper's.

If you solder a crimp the copper will soften and break the "weld" made by the crimper. The gaps will then be filled by the soft solder making the crimp weak as it's hold together by the solder and any movement or vibration will crystallize the solder creating a bad connection.

My information comes from working with marine cabling for many years and seeing many different problems using soldered connections and only a few using crimping.
Well, at $72.55 for a "compliant" crimp tool, I'll pass. On another note, your work on marine applications explains a lot. For that - I'm in total agreement. For our use it's another story. BTW, I do use a crimp tool (Lowe's, HD) and then solder for the high current connections.

P-J

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #27
renevdb
Recipes 

There are probably good crimper's at Lowes or HD that are cheaper and will do the trick. The point I'm making is that soldering will weaken the crimp, google it if you don't believe me.

My mentor always used the following comparison, you use a screwdriver for a screw and then a hammer to hit it even deeper. This hit with the hammer will ruin the thread and that's exactly what your doing with soldering.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #28
P-J
Recipes 

You are entitled to your opinion. I call this issue done. I'll do it my way.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #29
renevdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. I call this issue done. I'll do it my way.
No offence taken, good luck with your build!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #30
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
No offence taken, good luck with your build!
Not a build. I've done it my way for years without problems.

Quick Reply