Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Simple control panel wiring help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #21
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheGreat View Post
How about this one? I like the fact that it has a disconnect. Would a 2" probe be long enough to give an accurate reading?
Yup, that's what I use except I'd suggest the 4" version. Gives you more flexibility with your mounting options (through a sightglass, etc.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #22
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Sorry if these questions are trivial, I thought that I had all of the wire sizes figured out but from the last couple of comments, now I'm not sure. Just trying to make sure I get this all right. So, 6 gauge from the main panel to the spa panel. Would you also recommend the same from the spa panel to the control panel? Then what size should I wire everything throughout the control panel? Just thinking that working with anything over 10 gauge in the control panel may be tough.
I'm plainly amazed with the answers you are getting. I believe your basic plan is sound. You have a 30A breaker in the mains panel. Wiring goes according to that.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Sorry if these questions are trivial, I thought that I had all of the wire sizes figured out but from the last couple of comments, now I'm not sure. Just trying to make sure I get this all right. So, 6 gauge from the main panel to the spa panel. Would you also recommend the same from the spa panel to the control panel? Then what size should I wire everything throughout the control panel? Just thinking that working with anything over 10 gauge in the control panel may be tough.
Wait, I'm getting confused. You should be able to go 10gu all the way. The way I understand it is you are going 30A Breaker in main panel -> 50A GFCI Breaker in Spa Panel -> Control Panel. Correct? If that's the case then strike what I said before. If you've got a 30A breaker protecting everything then you can use 10gu with no issues.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #24
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Wait, I'm getting confused. You should be able to go 10gu all the way. The way I understand it is you are going 30A Breaker in main panel -> 50A GFCI Breaker in Spa Panel -> Control Panel. Correct? If that's the case then strike what I said before. If you've got a 30A breaker protecting everything then you can use 10gu with no issues.
That is correct. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
That is correct. Thanks!
Yeah, sorry about the other post. I've been reading too many electrical threads today.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #26
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about the other post. I've been reading too many electrical threads today.
As have I....no worries. After a while they all start meshing together.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Yep, that'll work!

OR you could pick up a GFCI cord, probably more expensive but it makes your rig somewhat portable.
Thanks for mentioning this. From what I was planning to do with my setup, it looks like doing an inline GFCI cord may actually save me some $$$. That brings up another question. I'm now thinking about installing a dryer outlet next to my panel and then plugging in the GFCI cord and running that to my control panel. I'd like to mount my control panel on the wall in the garage and then run a 25' 10/3 cable to my 5500w heating element. With the GFI cord being 17' and the cord running to the element being 25', that brings the total run to 42'. Will 10 gauge wire be sufficient for this?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #28
wyzazz
Recipes 

10Gu should be fine for anything under 50-60'

Quick Reply