Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Show us your element housings/pots. How did you do it?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #71
sethhobrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasky7777 View Post

As much as I love DIY, I couldn't pass up on these tri-clover adapters from Brewers Hardware. I don't have the tools or skills to do all the machining like they did. Can't wait to get them wired up.
Are you welding in half or full ferrules? This smaller one? http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-Ferrule-Short.html

Or is this one better to weld in? http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-Ferrule-Long.html

Or the larger one? I am going to copy you but would like to know which ferrule most people use(short or long?)
__________________
sethhobrin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #72
kevin509
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

If you haven't welded a ferrule yet you need to consider the type of element so it doesn't touch the ferrule on the kettle which can be common with the 1-1/2" ferrule and fold back elements. You need at least 1/2" projection from the kettle with the ferrule in order to get a clamp on it. The short ferrules are usually used to weld on to a tube but can be used on the side of a kettle. They are easier to silver solder on than weld because of how short they are.

__________________
kevin509 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #73
sethhobrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin509 View Post
If you haven't welded a ferrule yet you need to consider the type of element so it doesn't touch the ferrule on the kettle which can be common with the 1-1/2" ferrule and fold back elements. You need at least 1/2" projection from the kettle with the ferrule in order to get a clamp on it. The short ferrules are usually used to weld on to a tube but can be used on the side of a kettle. They are easier to silver solder on than weld because of how short they are.
I ordered the long type ferrule from brewers hardware this morning and it sounds like the right decision(although its hard to tell from your response you make it sound like no fold back elements will fit a 1.5" ferrule).

I figured the fold back elements would fit fine since it fits in the 1.5" RIMS tube from brewers hardware.

However I have no real world experience are you saying the 1.5" long ferrule won't work with standard fold back elements? I realize the ripple elements won't work. Will the long 1.5" ferrule welded in the side of a brew kettle work with fold back elements? If not someone please let me know asap so i can try to adjust my order.
__________________
sethhobrin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #74
kevin509
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 161
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

You'll be fine with the longer ferrule and a straight element. No worries.

Yeah the ripples are a pain with 1-1/2" TC that's why I went with 2" TC on my boil kettle.

__________________
kevin509 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #75
sethhobrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin509 View Post
You'll be fine with the longer ferrule and a straight element. No worries.

Yeah the ripples are a pain with 1-1/2" TC that's why I went with 2" TC on my boil kettle.
Thanks man! I feel better now. Can't wait. Love this design. Now i just need to find a welder locally!

Anyone know if this element is shorter than it actually says? I'd like to buy this for the BK and HLT but for some reason amazon lists it as 17". kind of hard to believe and I haven't found another site that really lists the length properly. I have a 10 gallon blichmann boilermaker that is only 14" in diameter.

This is the only 4500w ULWD element i could find in a fold back design but I am concerned about the length and cannot find more details anywhere.


http://www.amazon.com/Camco-02923-Heater-Element-Foldback/dp/B0002YUDSI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334592761&sr=8-3
__________________
sethhobrin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #76
runs4beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: , NYC
Posts: 383
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

This is the same one (50w per sq. inch = ULWD) and fits a 14" tank so it is less then 14". When I get home I can get you the exact installed length if the helps. It’s less expensive too.

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/2923-4500W-240V-FLD-Elemen-p/565426.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post
Thanks man! I feel better now. Can't wait. Love this design. Now i just need to find a welder locally!

Anyone know if this element is shorter than it actually says? I'd like to buy this for the BK and HLT but for some reason amazon lists it as 17". kind of hard to believe and I haven't found another site that really lists the length properly. I have a 10 gallon blichmann boilermaker that is only 14" in diameter.

This is the only 4500w ULWD element i could find in a fold back design but I am concerned about the length and cannot find more details anywhere.


http://www.amazon.com/Camco-02923-Heater-Element-Foldback/dp/B0002YUDSI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334592761&sr=8-3
__________________

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

runs4beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #77
sethhobrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 131
Default

Thanks! you just confirmed this element is fine! i dont know why amazon says it is 17". Thanks for the cheaper source! I pulled the trigger. now I have to find a welder

__________________
sethhobrin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #78
shroomzofdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 609
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Wait...wuh? Can you tell me about what's going on here? If I am correct, is that a control knob for an old heater?
__________________
Mike D

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons
shroomzofdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #79
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,093
Liked 548 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomzofdoom View Post
Wait...wuh? Can you tell me about what's going on here? If I am correct, is that a control knob for an old heater?
Naah. It's something called a Chill Chaser. A hand held immersion heater with a temperature control knob from a company that's no longer in business. Bought it cheap on eBay. It's now mounted in the side of my MLT. Took the cord off and put in a plug with J-B Weld. Easier to clean and store with out a cord dragging.


__________________
Sent from my POS computer because I refuse to own a smartphone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.
AnOldUR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #80
sasky7777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sasky7777's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 182
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

My adapters aren't welded in yet, but I will be using the long adapters, IIRC Brewer's Hardware recommends them.

__________________
sasky7777 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does your element look like? dboblitt Electric Brewing 4 01-10-2012 03:08 PM
Element Install in a 1/2 Keg LiverDance Electric Brewing 7 12-05-2010 04:36 PM
208 volt element Budzu Electric Brewing 14 11-06-2010 02:19 AM
Where did you get your heating element? CircleC-Brewer Electric Brewing 20 10-29-2010 02:26 PM
Did I just ruin my element? dboblitt Electric Brewing 3 10-11-2010 06:02 PM