Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Show us your element housings/pots. How did you do it?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #241
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MX1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 968
Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthispace View Post
Yes I did. If you check out my build in my signature I have pictures of me putting it together before I soldered the whole thing.
@renthispace

Great thread, man, I really do not want to silver solder, gonna figure out a way to make them weld-less

Tim
__________________

"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"

Ferm 1: Colorado Common Cream Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: Pin Cushin IPA

Keg 1: House Amber Ale
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2014) - 40

MX1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #242
ryanhope
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 243
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckels View Post
Here's mine. 2" TC housings from Still Dragon with Hubble strain reliefs.
Is your 2" TC port welded or silver soldered on? If soldered, can you describe your process?
__________________
ryanhope is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #243
JayMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 271
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Is there any way to use tri-clover for the enclosure for a fold back element, but in a weldless formation?

__________________
JayMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #244
evanmars
EAC Wannabe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
evanmars's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Springport, Michigan
Posts: 886
Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Is there any way to use tri-clover for the enclosure for a fold back element, but in a weldless formation?
Soldered:
http://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/2etc4s.htm
__________________
Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup

Primary - Duck Lake EPA
Duck Pee (Cream of Three Crops variant)

Secondary - 0
Kegged - 0 No kegs anymore :(
Bottled - 0
evanmars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #245
JayMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 271
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmars View Post
Nice! I was just looking at the silver soldering thread and decided that's how I wanted to do it... I just didn't want to use a gangbox.

Does the element screw in? In my idea world, I would like to screw it in and solder around the threads. Even with the flange soldered to the kettle, water can still leak behind the threads where the element connects, giving it a chance to contact the leads.
__________________
JayMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #246
kevink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 510
Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Nice! I was just looking at the silver soldering thread and decided that's how I wanted to do it... I just didn't want to use a gangbox.

Does the element screw in? In my idea world, I would like to screw it in and solder around the threads. Even with the flange soldered to the kettle, water can still leak behind the threads where the element connects, giving it a chance to contact the leads.
A gasket goes between the two, so it should not leak unless the gasket is damaged or the element is loose.
__________________
kevink is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #247
JayMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 271
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
A gasket goes between the two, so it should not leak unless the gasket is damaged or the element is loose.
Of course, I would just rather have that not even be a possibility. I know quite a bit about wiring and electronics, and have a lot of experience with electrical systems and wiring... with that said, they still scare the heck out of me when waters around... even if they are properly grounded with GFCI!
__________________
JayMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #248
kevink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 510
Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Of course, I would just rather have that not even be a possibility. I know quite a bit about wiring and electronics, and have a lot of experience with electrical systems and wiring... with that said, they still scare the heck out of me when waters around... even if they are properly grounded with GFCI!
I don't recommend that you solder the element in. How are you going to prevent the heat from melting the plastic on the element? Are you planning on using an all SS element? If not, good luck getting the solder to stick. Put a nice silicone gasket on the element and be done with it. Mine has been in and out a few times and it's still in perfect condition. You are worrying about something that is not a problem!
__________________
kevink is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #249
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 805
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
I don't recommend that you solder the element in. How are you going to prevent the heat from melting the plastic on the element? Are you planning on using an all SS element? If not, good luck getting the solder to stick. Put a nice silicone gasket on the element and be done with it. Mine has been in and out a few times and it's still in perfect condition. You are worrying about something that is not a problem!
what plastic are you talking about? Lots of people solder their elements to their keggle, its easy and it does work. There is a thread in the DIY section all about how to approach it to make sure you can wet the SS with solder
__________________
RyanBrews - check out all the bread/funk/pickling/cheese and other crazy things I try...
ryane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #250
kevink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 510
Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
what plastic are you talking about? Lots of people solder their elements to their keggle, its easy and it does work. There is a thread in the DIY section all about how to approach it to make sure you can wet the SS with solder
I think JayMac wants to solder the actual element into the threads in which it screws into for some reason. You're sure there are threads explaining how to do that? I'm talking about melting the plastic on the element. You don't want to solder the element to anything. It has threads and a gasket for a reason.
__________________
kevink is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does your element look like? dboblitt Electric Brewing 4 01-10-2012 04:08 PM
Element Install in a 1/2 Keg LiverDance Electric Brewing 7 12-05-2010 05:36 PM
208 volt element Budzu Electric Brewing 14 11-06-2010 03:19 AM
Where did you get your heating element? CircleC-Brewer Electric Brewing 20 10-29-2010 03:26 PM
Did I just ruin my element? dboblitt Electric Brewing 3 10-11-2010 07:02 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS