Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Show us your element housings/pots. How did you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #131
ironmountainbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The one's I picked up are rated at 30amp continuous power per UL Standard 1977 on Component Connectors for Use in Data, Signal, Control and Power Applications.

It's may be complete ignorance on my part, but it seems like using these between the control panel and elements would be an acceptable application for these connectors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #132
runs4beer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Kal, this was the responce from switchcraft's engineering regarding their HPCC4F & HPCP41F outlets and plugs, did I not ask the right question or miss something in their responce? (My question is on the bottom).

Linda Schlie lschlie@switchcraft.com
Feb 24

to me

We have received your email. I forwarded to engineering please read below.
Sales Dept.
Linda Schlie
Switchcraft

The connectors are rated for 50 A (for the Fast-on terminal type) and 1500 VAC rms. There should be no problem with the customer's application.

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com [mailto: xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:06 PM
To: Ray Edison
Subject: Switchcraft.com Website Inquiry

The following inquiry came from the www.switchcraft.com website:

Company: CBL LTD
Address:xxx
City: xxx
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: xxxx
Email: xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
Phone: xxxxxxxxxx
Function: Other

Comments:
Can these connectors be used in the supplying of 220 Volts, 30 amps of power to a 5500 watt heating element for a sustained times of, let’s say 3 to 5 hours? I’d like to use them in a very small brewery.
HPCC4F
HPCP41F

Requested CAD (STEP) file: False
Requested email updates: False

Catalog Requests:
Electronic Design Guide - False
Conxall Catalog - False
Sensorlink Catalog - False
Pro Audio Guide - False

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #133
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs4beer View Post
Kal, this was the responce from switchcraft's engineering regarding their HPCC4F & HPCP41F outlets and plugs, did I not ask the right question or miss something in their responce? (My question is on the bottom).
Nope. But unless I'm confusing the Switchcraft product with some other ones, it seems to contradict what others are saying the manufacturer already stated (that it shouldn't be used for mains power). Either I'm getting my threads mixed up (wouldn't be the first time!) or the person/people who responded to the email below are incorrect.

Kal

Old 10-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #134
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Neutrik has the explicit disclaimer (they also have the solution that would allow for different power in / out receptacles to eliminate the potential for user error). I have not seen the disclaimer on the Switchcraft products. I'm intrigued, but would likely go with something clearly rated for the application.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #135
runs4beer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Nope. But unless I'm confusing the Switchcraft product with some other ones, it seems to contradict what others are saying the manufacturer already stated (that it shouldn't be used for mains power). Either I'm getting my threads mixed up (wouldn't be the first time!) or the person/people who responded to the email below are incorrect.

Kal
I think that that was in references to Speakon products by Neutrik Inc who developed this plug pattern.
Switchcraft’s plug pattern is compatible (same male>female configuration) and are sometimes generically referred to Speakon plugs and/or outlets but they do not have the same specs.

I wanted something that was as small as possible and remembered using this type of product in my former life as a freelance event electrician. I called a master electrician I use to work with (who is now a very important Broadway master electrician) and he told me what to use. I still contacted switchcraft to double check. I too approached these with skepticism partly when I saw the retail price but it appears that they are rated for this application which is different the other compatible plugs and outlets.

But let me follow with this:
Are the switchcraft’s plugs and receptacles as durable as the twist locks you list on your build maybe not and if I were the standard bearer for the electric home brewery movement I might have to have remained skeptical too.

If I am read the specs wrong, the links are posted above, please let everyone know (regardless of what their engineer told me).-Noah

-DB
Others look for fights
-RH

Old 10-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #136
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do stage shows also use them for lighting or just for speakers/sound? I would think some of those high intensity lights would pull a pretty good amount of current. Many of those spotlights/panels of lights would be on continuously as well, not just pulling spikes of power every once in a while. Just thinking out loud here....

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #137
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Switchcraft certainly stands behind using the HPC (High Power Connector) series for this type of use. In addition to the email cited above, from the product sheet:

Markets
• Loudspeakers
• Power audio amplifiers
• Medical
• Process Controls

From the specs:

High Power Connector, 30 A Current Rating, Silver-Plated over Copper Alloy Contact Material
30 A Rating Per UL 1977 on PC Mount Versions
50 A Rating Per UL 1977 on Faston® Versions
1500 VAC (RMS)

I am still a bit leery of power inlets and outlets with the same configuration, but I might consider using the panel mounts as an inlet to the control panel and an inlet to the element. With a NEMA 14-30 plug on the other end of the control panel power cord, and a NEMA 6-30 plug on the other end of the element power cord, even I could not screw that up.

Edit: I could also use it as an inlet to a spa panel with another 14-30 plug on the other end.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #138
ODI3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just so I'm not confused, which male and female are safe for 30a and which are safe for 50a?

My 15 gal EBIAB Brewing Rig:
Http://www.londonbrewers.ca/blog

Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #139
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODI3 View Post
Just so I'm not confused, which male and female are safe for 30a and which are safe for 50a?
Per the specs, the PCB mount ones for 30a, and the Faston ones for 50a, although I am certifying neither.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #140
runs4beer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh

Per the specs, the PCB mount ones for 30a, and the Faston ones for 50a, although I am certifying neither.
Fast-on are the blade connections, I I'm trying to attach an image but if it's not there follow the link.
http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...h-outlined.jpg
1107h-outlined.jpg  

-DB
Others look for fights
-RH

Quick Reply