Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Show me your cheap electrical enclosure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #31
klyph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
It was the biggest waste of $80 I've ever done ... the inspector basically said "You seem to know what you're doing... here's your sticker" without actually looking at anything. He then proceeded to ask me a ton of questions on my control panel and the brewing process.

Kal
I'm sure as soon as he saw that control panel, he said to himself "Damn, this guy knows more about electricity than I do, better just give him the sticker so I don't insult him."

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #32
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack7489 View Post
I started off with a steel breaker-box style enclosure that I got off ebay for cheap. About 1/3 of the way into the project, a buddy at work found me some control hardware that had failed our manufacture burn-in testing. Now instead of a control system run by 3 home made PIC microcontroller boards, I have a legit industrial-grade control system with thermocouple and relay modules, an ethernet port with a built-in web-server, a dedicated serial port, a real-time processor and an FPGA. That's not really important to the thread, but I'm excited.

Either way, I had to rethink my box because the new controller is much larger than the original control hardware. I went with one of the plastic boxes from Home Depot for the second time around. The point of my rambling is that it is MUCH easier to work with the plastic box than it was to work with the steel. I would hands-down suggest the plastic box unless you have a good drill press, are really accurate with a jig saw and like using a file.
I couldn't find any plastic enclosures at home depot. Are they not in the electrical department? I think I recall someone using something from another department in HD.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #33
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Got this one on ebay for 30 bucks or so. It's a NEMA 3, fiberglass. Plenty of room for PID, DC voltage source, and switches.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #34
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Very nice. I went with a stainless steel toolbox....it's thin enough that a dremel/step bit, etc should make short work of it.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #35
browncoat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
Like I need another reason to buy more ammo cans...
Keg 1 - Old Rasputin Clone
Keg 2 - Stone Pale ale clone
Bottled - Almost Barley Wine

Quick Reply