Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Show me your cheap electrical enclosure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Show me your cheap electrical enclosure

So the next phase of my brewery is a RIMS tube and a control panel. Looks like I'll be acquiring parts for a bit. I was surprised to see how expensive the electrical enclosures people used for their control panels are. $300? Hadn't planned on that.

I do want to keep safety in mind, but can anyone suggest or post pics of your cheap enclosure? (by cheap I mean no $300).

Look forward to seeing what the creative members of this board have come up with over the years.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

This site by Kal (member here) shows a relatively cheap enclosure. It seems big enough for most setups. P.S. The entire site and build are awesome.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/co...-part-1?page=3

Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
So the next phase of my brewery is a RIMS tube and a control panel. Looks like I'll be acquiring parts for a bit. I was surprised to see how expensive the electrical enclosures people used for their control panels are. $300? Hadn't planned on that.

I do want to keep safety in mind, but can anyone suggest or post pics of your cheap enclosure? (by cheap I mean no $300).

Look forward to seeing what the creative members of this board have come up with over the years.
I paid $50 or $60 plus shipping for the enclosure in my avatar from a user here on HBT. It was used and needed a little attention but worked our great.

I have the enclosure in the pics below that I planned to eventually put in the classified section. It is a new Hoffman box (A12N106) with a back panel (7561k871). I think I have about $35 in this box... PM me if you would be interested in it.

Ed

Old 10-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
CircleC-Brewer
Recipes 

Default I have an extra electrical enclosure

Check out the link below. It is in the classified section. I'll take $70 (via paypal) plus you pay shipping. This is a heavy duty commercial enclosure.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/trad...losure-194252/

Circle C brewer

Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post

What???????? Are you kidding?? You havent looked very hard have you? There are tons of brand new enclosures on Ebay for less than $100.

Guy

Old 10-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
What???????? Are you kidding?? You havent looked very hard have you? There are tons of brand new enclosures on Ebay for less than $100.
I'm just curious to see what people have used and if I can get the pros and cons on some of these enclosures. Do I really need one certified to deflect 60 gallons of water per minute? Some have gone with this type. I'm sure others have done it for $50 or less.

I'm definitely willing to do my research on this. Thought it would be a fun thread, though.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You could build one out of wood for that matter. It doesn't have to be of any specific rating unless you're trying to employ it in a commercial setting and have to get inspections. I doubt you pulled a residential permit to install your brew house.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 150

How big of an enclosure do you need?

I've got a spare 10 x 12 x 6 metal enclosure with no holes in it that I could sell to you for $30 + shipping.

PM me if you're interested. I have pictures.

TB

1. Camp Beer 2. Camp Beer 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Breakfast Stout, Belgian Dubbel, Chocolate Milk Stout, German Pilsner (lagering), Dry Stout x2, Oatmeal Amber Ale x2

Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought
chuckjaxfl Likes This 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
Nice idea, there, Klyph. Thanks for posting those enclosures, guys. I'm probably not buying anything just yet, though. I may make a wooden box to start or get something ultra cheap. I'm going to start slow with just the PID, a pump switch and maybe a timer if I can get one on the cheap.

Keep 'em coming, though. I started the thread to see what people have done besides those really awesome, but expensive ones. Like this.

You know your control panel rocks when it requires parts from IKEA!

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Quick Reply