Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Shorter ULWD or longer LWD element for brewershardware rims tube?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
sethhobrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shorter ULWD or longer LWD element for brewershardware rims tube?

I am trying to decide between the two elements which are both 2000 watt 240v. This element will be run on 240v.

This one is LWD and 9.5" long:
http://bostonheatingsupply.com/sp10869gl.aspx

This one is ULWD but it is only 6" long:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

For those with more experience since I have none yet which would be better in this rims tube?

Shorter ULWD
or
Longer LWD

Both are same wattage and voltage.

I kind of was hoping to find a Longer ULWD element but that does not appear to exist so i am faced with choosing between these. I was thinking that a longer element would be exposed to more of the mash fluid while recirculating.

I like how the shorter one is ULWD though. not sure which is more important.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post
I am trying to decide between the two elements which are both 2000 watt 240v. This element will be run on 240v.

This one is LWD and 9.5" long:
http://bostonheatingsupply.com/sp10869gl.aspx

This one is ULWD but it is only 6" long:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

For those with more experience since I have none yet which would be better in this rims tube?

Shorter ULWD
or
Longer LWD

Both are same wattage and voltage.

I kind of was hoping to find a Longer ULWD element but that does not appear to exist so i am faced with choosing between these. I was thinking that a longer element would be exposed to more of the mash fluid while recirculating.

I like how the shorter one is ULWD though. not sure which is more important.
General rule of thumb is the lower the watt density the longer the element. I am guessing the one from Amazon is described wrong. It says it's 11 inches long, a reviewer says it's 7 inches, and you say 6. Maybe it's 11 inches overall, counting the fold back. Anyway, my CAMCO 5500 ULWD is over 30" long if you could the ripples and fold back.

The other problem with the Amazon one is it is $18 plus $18 shipping. That's way too expensive.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
sethhobrin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3asturd View Post
General rule of thumb is the lower the watt density the longer the element. I am guessing the one from Amazon is described wrong. It says it's 11 inches long, a reviewer says it's 7 inches, and you say 6. Maybe it's 11 inches overall, counting the fold back. Anyway, my CAMCO 5500 ULWD is over 30" long if you could the ripples and fold back.

The other problem with the Amazon one is it is $18 plus $18 shipping. That's way too expensive.
Amazon also sells that with free prime shipping. i bought it and it arrived today. it is 11 inches including the fold so it is very short at 6" total length. it is labeled as ULWD. i agree that it doesn't make sense...

So I guess I am still faced with the dilema.. send this one back and get the rheam LWD model that I know for a fact is 9.5" long not including the fold or keep this ULWD one even though it is so stubby at about 6" not including the fold..... i think my original logic still stands(more surface area = better) so that means I should return the stubby ULWD element and purchase the LWD Rheam model because it is longer. I was just looking to see if other agreed who might be more experienced.

EDIT: I actually purchased this stubby 6" ULWD element twice now. Amazon told me they sent me the wrong item and sent another and sure enough its a stubby 6" element. So now I have to either keep it or send it back and get the Rheam which I know is longer but LWD instead of UWLD.

Quick Reply