Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > scorching...what the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Once you've scorched I'd say replace the element. They are less than $20.00 from almost any hardware store so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, are you firing your element while mashing? If so you might be getting some starch buildup if you're using a high percentage of wheat/rye/oats in the mash. Don't direct fire a mash with an electric element, you're asking for trouble there, ask me how I know?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Once you've scorched I'd say replace the element. They are less than $20.00 from almost any hardware store so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, are you firing your element while mashing? If so you might be getting some starch buildup if you're using a high percentage of wheat/rye/oats in the mash. Don't direct fire a mash with an electric element, you're asking for trouble there, ask me how I know?
Nope, mashed in a separate pot, but when I do eBIAB I don't fire while mashing just because there is too much of a temperature swing. I have a backup element that I can switch to, but I'm going to give it a good cleaning and make a follow-on batch with the "adjustments" that I made to the element to see if the scorching stops.
2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvt...inally-298407/

Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
SimBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Do you run it full on during the boil, might try to dial it back a bit while still have good boil instead of a great boil you might save it from being to hot to scortch

Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBrew View Post
Do you run it full on during the boil, might try to dial it back a bit while still have good boil instead of a great boil you might save it from being to hot to scortch
That wouldn't work quite like you'd think it would. The element doesn't change the amount of heat it gives off, only the amount of time that heat is on. Using a PID or a PWM we modify the element to be on for say 60% of a given time period. If your time period is 10 seconds for example, the element would be on for 6 of those seconds.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My PWM cycles at 1.3 Hz so the amount of time that it is on is limited to about 1/2 second assuming that I am boiling at ~70% duty cycle. I had been boiling off around 20% per hour. I found additional scorching on my current element so I'm going to pull it out and swamp in my spare element for the next run. I should also do a water boil test and bring the boil off rate down to ~15%. I'll also be bending the spare element to open it up some and create an easier fluid flow path to keep everything moving to prevent initial scorching in the first place.

My last two batches were lagers so my carboys are locked down for the time being, but they might be abruptly emptied due to the burnt flavors. I'm just a bit bummed that I have 10 gallons of beer that I'm not going to like only because of this burnt wort taste.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtschultz View Post
My PWM cycles at 1.3 Hz so the amount of time that it is on is limited to about 1/2 second assuming that I am boiling at ~70% duty cycle. I had been boiling off around 20% per hour. I found additional scorching on my current element so I'm going to pull it out and swamp in my spare element for the next run. I should also do a water boil test and bring the boil off rate down to ~15%. I'll also be bending the spare element to open it up some and create an easier fluid flow path to keep everything moving to prevent initial scorching in the first place.

My last two batches were lagers so my carboys are locked down for the time being, but they might be abruptly emptied due to the burnt flavors. I'm just a bit bummed that I have 10 gallons of beer that I'm not going to like only because of this burnt wort taste.
I've been there before, I dumped 12 gallons because of scorching.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Mellman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It amazes me that some seem to have scorching issues while others seem to never have a problem

Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
wyzazz
Recipes 

Mine was due to a 50/50 wheat grist, I recirculated while mashing and turned the element on. (never did that again) I then brewed a batch that next weekend after cleaning the element thoroughly with an SOS pad and CLR, it scorched again.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
TangleFoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well boy's......I changed my element to a ulwd and made a lighter brew with no problems.

But I see mentioned NOT to have element on during mash.....and I always have just to keep mash temp right on. I won't be doing that anymore!

Thanks for the good advice.
This place is great.....even us old farts can still learn something

Later.......TangleFoot-out

Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #20
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I tasted the last batch of beer that I boiled with my element and it is destined for the drain. Too bad too, I was really looking forward to drinking my own dunkel. I swamped out the element and am going to give it another go this week. I did a test boil this weekend and have my 15% boil off dialed in so I'm not over-boiling. I gently bent the element runs to separate them some to keep the wort flowing and prevent it from scorching. I'm going right back after the dunkel again so it will be a 90 minute boil to be a real test.

Quick Reply