Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Scorching on Heating Element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Default Scorching on Heating Element

For some non-conformist reason I’m doing my best to get an eMLT to work without a recirculation pump. I’ve been playing with constant slow stirring. Worked pretty well when I was using a heat plate for the heat source. I never got any scorching on the bottom of the pot, but was worried that, even with the stirring, the grain would mostly be at the bottom at a higher temperature than the rest of the mash. My latest “upgrade” has a heating element mounted horizontally in the pot about three inches from the bottom. The trouble is that I get some scorching on the element. There’s a probe mounted about a half inch away from the element to regulate it, but it’s either an on or off control, so the element has the potential to get really hot when the probe calls for heat. Works fine for maintaining temperature, but can scorch when it stays on for prolonged temperature steps.

Somewhere on this board I read about using a router speed control to regulate temperature. The idea sounded good because this way I could adjust the temperature of the element manually to prevent scorching and let the probe control the temperature of the mash. It would slow the time for a step, but prevent excessive temperature at the element.

So, I’m running some tests on it to see how hot the element gets at different settings on the controls dial. The question is how high can that get before there’s scorching? Has anyone tried this idea to prevent excessive temperatures in their RIMS tube? Even with a PID turning your element on and off, when it’s on it can get the wort and enzymes in it to temperatures higher than you’d like.

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Here's what I've got so far.

The controller varies the voltage. The element I’m experimenting with is 120V, 1000W and 15.6 ohms. I used V=I*R to calculate the amperage at a given voltage and P=I*I*R to calculate the corresponding wattage.

For example, on a 1 to 10 scale the controller puts out 71 volts at a setting of 8. This would mean that the power output is 330 watts and draws 4.6 amps. Since the area of the element remains the same, what the controller does is change a high-density element to low or ultra low. This should be what I need to prevent scorching, but mash steps could be too slow. I’ve seen spread sheets that can calculate heating time for a given wattage and volume. Now I have to experiment to see at what density scorching begins and what the corresponding step times would be when staying below that.

(Thanks to Walker for the formulas. Hope I used them correctly.)

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4375 Times on 3182 Posts
Likes Given: 850

You know that I have no idea what you said- but I thought something was worth mentioning.

Someone on this board mentioned they have a lower-watt ULWD heating element (I think in the HLT) and that even though it heats just fine, it doesn't get that hot and they can even touch it. I have a 5500 w ULWD heating element in my BK and it gets hot, so it could be they were full of it, or it could be true. What size element is in the MLT? 1000W? Does it get hot to the touch?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Does it get hot to the touch?
Hmmmm. I'll have to try . . .

. . . but why am I thinking this is kind of like telling your buddy it's OK to pee on that electric fence?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I can definitely touch my element when it's on full blast (submersed in water of course!), it's a low density even. Ultralow density would be even less hot. I now have mine on during my mash and just occasionally stir (it's only on 1/20th of the time though).

If your element is a "high" density element you're going to be creating more heat per square inch of element surface, so higher chance of scorching.

Swap it for a low density and problem solved?

edit: I should also clarify that mine is a 4500watt 240v element from the hardware store, higher wattage but otherwise nothing fancy. I can heat 8 gallons from tap to 155 in about 25 minutes.

Last edited by Psych; 10-13-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: element clarification

Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I guess I am trying to figure out how you are running an element in an eMLT?
Are you placing the element below the false bottom somehow? Is the grain coming into contact with the element?

You refer to a RIMS tube and probe, but are you using these without a pump? What's the probe connected to? A PID?

I am thinking that scorching is coming from the element resting against the grains--if that's the case?

It sounds like what you want is a PWM with a dial to manually controlly input?

I just can't get a good bead on what you have going on there...

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I get some 'buildup' on my element but it isn't black, it's like a tan caramelized sugar.

Is yours tan colored or actually black?

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

A high density element in the mash WILL cause scorching and will tend to get burnt grain stuck to it. Real mess.

(They work fine in the BK, though)

Quick Reply