Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > RTD thermosensor and PID on ebay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
mgude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default RTD thermosensor and PID on ebay

Will these sensors work with the Auber PIDs?

Watlow RTD Sensor, Thermistor, Thermocouple, Temp Probe | eBay

Will this work in the place of the Auber PID?
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Be careful where you throw your money. The PID is relay output and there is no indication about its temperature setting, i.e. is set up for Fahrenheit or Centigrade measurements?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Protto
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The PID is a little larger physically than most, it has relay output, K-input. Engeneering unit can be changed to F in advanced settings menu. Input can also be changed to RTD (and others) if you like.

Have you seen my post in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/rkc-cd101-help-293413/ ? (post #15)

If you don't need SSR-output, or are capable og modding the unit to drive an SSR, 20$ is a bargain in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't see why the RTD wouldn't work. Although you can get beefier ones from China:
RTD PT100 Temperature Sensors with Terminal Head | eBay

As for the PID, like P-J says, it's relay output, not SSR output, (so you'll need a transformer to step the voltage from 120VAC to 3-32VDC to control your SSR). It reads in Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. It says it only takes a K type thermocouple, (which is NOT an RTD and isn't as sensitive, but is cheaper usually). It doesn't mention if it's capable of autotuning, (which is very useful for a newbie). It also doesn't appear to have a manual mode, (damn near essential if this will be controlling your BK). Finally, it's a good bet that the manual is in very bad english, seeing as it's a chinese import and looking at the english level of the ebay post.

I cheap out on a lot of stuff and buy from China. The PID is one thing I'm very glad I bought from Auber. Get the 2352. It has SSR output, takes an RTD, has a bumpless manual mode that's easily accessible, reads in F, has autotune, and it's decently documented.

Edit: Whups, didn't see Protto's post above. Apparently it does do Fahrenheit and can take RTDs. Still, I vote Auber. Manual mode is very useful.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Quick Reply