Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > RTD extension wire

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default RTD extension wire

Does anyone have or know of a place I can get extension wire for an rtd without having to buy 25 feet of it?
Can I just use regular wire from radio shack? I need about 6 more feet.

Thanks

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Dave258
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

After thinking about it, I doubt I would be able to splice to add to the current wire, so I guess I would need about 10 feet to run totally new wire.
Would the radio shack wire work, or do I need to spring the 30 or so bucks for 25 feet?

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
trigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not sure what radio shack wire you're referring to, but I hacked up an old Cat 5 cable I had lying around to extend my RTD's. It's thin, and not the easiest to work with, but I have about 300' of it lying around in lengths from 6' to 25', so I figured why not. Another option would be an old telephone cord. The Cat 5 has a maximum current rating >500mA per conductor, so that's not an issue. Make sure that you add something to strengthen the cord, though, cause it's easy to break if you trip/catch something on it.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Dave258
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
I'm not sure what radio shack wire you're referring to, but I hacked up an old Cat 5 cable I had lying around to extend my RTD's. It's thin, and not the easiest to work with, but I have about 300' of it lying around in lengths from 6' to 25', so I figured why not. Another option would be an old telephone cord. The Cat 5 has a maximum current rating >500mA per conductor, so that's not an issue. Make sure that you add something to strengthen the cord, though, cause it's easy to break if you trip/catch something on it.
I meant just buying 20 or 22 guage wire at radio shack, but Thanks for the idea on the Cat 5. I have plenty of that and phone cord.
I will go that route!

I am assuming that instead of splicing it, it is better to just un-solder the current wire, and start fresh with the new.

Thanks again.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From Auber InstrumentsL

1. What can I use to extend my RTD wire?

You should use regular copper wire for the RTD sensor connection. The only requirement is that the wire should not be thinner than 26 Ga.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Cat6 is 23Gu and Cat5 is 24Gu, both are twisted copper. You should be fine using these.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Communications cable (cat5, phone, etc...) is probably a good idea, because it is twisted pair. Use two matching wires (ie. green and green stripe...etc) The twisting helps remove noise pickup (at-least this is how it works in the systems I work with).

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

RTD's are typically resistance devices used to show a temperature. Before lengthening this check the resistance between the wires and record it. Then use the same or slightly larger gauge wire then what is there now. You can splice the wires but I suggest twisting them then soldering. You need to keep the resistance as close as you can to the original. Depending on if there is a calibration feature you might be able to calibrate the device with the additional resistance. If you are only adding 6 feet it's probably not going to be an issue.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I bought one of the liquid tight RTD sensors from auberins. It comes with 6' wire but I need to extend it to about 15', so I emailed them asking if I could use the Cat 5 cable I have laying around to do so. They said it wouldn't be any problem at all.

Quick Reply