Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > RIMS/HERMS people - do I need to stir during dough-in, or can the pump handle it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
King of Cascade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
If you check you conversion efficiency, 97-98% conversion is about the upper limit. I suppose 100% conversion efficiency is theoretically possible, but I never get there, nor does anyone else I have spoken with who actually tracks such things.

I stir about 3 times during an average mash, and more if I am not getting my conversion efficiency to about 96-97%. I find you can lose a large amount of conversion efficiency and therefore gravity points by allowing the mash to sit statically. It could be system specific, but I know how my brewery works. Before I paid attention to my efficiencies I didn't know about that and didn't stir as much.
How do you track conversion efficiency? PM me if you dont want to highjack the thread.

The Yeast Whisperer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Check out this page:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...use_Efficiency

Here is the spreadsheet I use for my brewdays:
http://braukaiser.com/documents/effi...calculator.xls

I love using this sheet. It allows me to actively see how my mash and beer is reacting and has drastically improved my consistency and accuracy of brewing.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
bullywee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I use a RIMS system and you will need to stir during dough in. I stir once @ dough in, returning the mash through a simple CPVC manifold atop the grain bed and Batch sparging (with a mashout). I consistently get 90%+ eff. My efficiency is calculated by PROMASH.

Quick Reply