RIMS Element Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbrand

Reaction score
Is a 1500 W 110v element sufficient to maintain mash temperature? I'm only concerned will the ability to maintain the temp post dough-in. The tube body is 1 1/2" x 8" (not including the tees). I have a 10g system and do not plan to use it for step mashing. Assume a normal mash recirculating rate. I'm currently limited to 15a circuits and want to avoid installing a 20a breaker with new wiring if at all possible.

I do it with a 5500w/240v element running at 120v (1375w).

Ten gallon batches in a 20 gallon Blichmann kettle for the mash tun; seems to maintain temps fine.

My RIMS tube is the Brewer's Hardware 1 1/2" tri-clamp one.

A 1500w 110v element will be fine to hold temps. It helps to stay out of the wind though or at least make sure your mash tun is insulated.

That is preferred. It's for this reason I used a 5500w 240v LWD element at 120v. A ULWD element will reduce the possibility of the wort being scorched.

Thanks for the input guys. I should be good to go then. I chose to go with the NPT fittings style tube with Camlock hose fittings. My Coleman Extreme should prevent any major heat loss in windy conditions. A LWD element is definitely in order. I also purchased the newer pump from Greatbreweh. There is so much to think through when putting a RIMS system together. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Back