The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > REX-C100 PID (cheapest PID on ebay)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

yeah, documentation sucks for the things. some sellers have good instructions. some have terrible ones.

The one my friend bought is definitely defective. temp input is flat out broken.

Regarding running DC thorugh the built in relay. It will probably work very well and last long enough to make the PID worth the low amount of money spent, but it really is super easy to crack the case open and find the place where wires need to be attached to drive an SSR directly.

I'm sure it'll do you fine using the built in relay.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got a reply from the Rex company regarding the wireing difference I found. He sent me an owners manual PDF and informed me of fake Rex pids that were being made in China and sold on ebay. I sent him MY SN as asked so he could verify if it was one of theirs, but I think it's a fake because the terminal pattern wasn't the same.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #23
Walker

Recipes 

I was wondering if these were fakes. If you actually search for "REX C100", you find only a few hits and they are up in the $75 range.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I was wondering if these were fakes. If you actually search for "REX C100", you find only a few hits and they are up in the $75 range.
I know, I researched the company while I was considering buying one of these, and the seem to be a solid company. I never thought about fakes being sold.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #25
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My C100 is rated a 250 volts 3 amps on the relay. I got a decent instruction manual and the wireing diagram matched the sticker on the unit. I just noticed while browsimg the Rex website the wireing diagram they showed was different, so I contacted them and thats when I found out about the fake units. My aquariam controller I got to build a fermenting chamber is rated at 120 volts 10 amps. The deagram on the sticker on the C100 is probably correct for the unit, but I think it is probably a fake Rex C100. I will know for sure when the Rex company conferms the SN.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #26
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

What is wrong with just using the mechanical relay that is on there? It doesn't have to be an SSR to get the job done.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #27
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
What is wrong with just using the mechanical relay that is on there? It doesn't have to be an SSR to get the job done.
Thats what I will do on the build. If the relay fails at some point, then I will look into using the relay switch voltage to switch my SSR.

I really need spellchecker, I can't spell schet, that's why I only got a B in med-terminology

Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod734 View Post
Thats what I will do on the build. If the relay fails at some point, then I will look into using the relay switch voltage to switch my SSR.
I saw on one of the ebay auctions for the mid priced Stetos (sp?) PIDs that if the mech relay is sued they suggest a duty cycle time of at least 20 seconds. Don't know if you can change this on the REX.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
betadave
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The REX C100 I got from eBay does have control over the duty cycle. In the programming process, the term for duty cycle is called T and shows as an inverted L. It is default set for 20 and can be adjusted with the up/down arrows as you would expect. I validated that by setting it to 3 and letting the relay click frequently and then back to 20 where it slowed down.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by betadave View Post
The REX C100 I got from eBay does have control over the duty cycle. In the programming process, the term for duty cycle is called T and shows as an inverted L. It is default set for 20 and can be adjusted with the up/down arrows as you would expect. I validated that by setting it to 3 and letting the relay click frequently and then back to 20 where it slowed down.
I don't think that's what he meant by "duty cycle". On PIDs like the one from Auber, you can adjust that parameter that you are talking about (the output cycle) and then tell the PID to manually drive the output for some percentage of that output cycle. It ignores the temp probe input in that mode.

That sort of duty cycle adjustment allows you to control the strength of a boil by having your element effectively running at a fraction of it's power. The REX-C100 doesn't have that sort of control.

Quick Reply