Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > REX-C100 PID (cheapest PID on ebay)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
rod734
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I am not talking about the SSR when I say "relay". I am talking about the mechanical one built into the PID that you are going to run your DC power through.
OK I see. I wasn't aiming to run DC through it, I was just going to come off one leg of the 220 out to run a DC power supply of some type. Switching a power supply off and on a lot may cause it to fail soon. I don't have any idea how rugged the relays are, but it said on the listing for uses was as a kiln controller. I guiss I will do a performance study and let others that might be thinking about going for the cheap one know what they are in for. Im not an electronics man, just a tinkerer, so Im all ears if you have any ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think you might be misunderstanding how the PID controls things. The "output" terminals on the PID do not have any sort of power supply driving them from within the PID. They are just two sides of a switch. You connect a source to one of the terminals and when the PID says "ON", it will connect that terminal to the other one.

You can run DC or AC through it, but you have to supply the source voltage to one of the terminals.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The PID actually runs on anything from 90VAC to 250VAC. It will work fine on 110V.
I was just getting back on to ask you about that, so if I run it on 110 Ill just get 110 out the back?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
Walker

Recipes 

no. you need to think of the PID's output as a totally separate thing than the power supply for the PID. the output is just two screw terminals. call them A and B.

If you connect 12VDC to terminal A, then when the PID says "go" that 12VCD will show up on terminal B.

If you connect 110VAC to terminal A, then 110VAC will show up on terminal B.

The PID can be running on 110VAC or 220VAC or whatever. It's unrelated to the output part of the PID.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I might add I found a discrempensy In the wireing diagram that came wiath my unit compaired to the one on the Rex website. The power terminals and the alarm terminals are reversed. I wrote an email to Rex to varifie the proper wireing diagram.

http://www.rkcinst.co.jp/english/pdf_manual/imnzc21e1.pdf

this is a link to the c100 wireing will probobly have to copy and paste

Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I think you might be misunderstanding how the PID controls things. The "output" terminals on the PID do not have any sort of power supply driving them from within the PID. They are just two sides of a switch. You connect a source to one of the terminals and when the PID says "ON", it will connect that terminal to the other one.

You can run DC or AC through it, but you have to supply the source voltage to one of the terminals.
ok I see what your saying, I was thinking of the input power going through the pid and the pid was sending it out the back terminals. These replies are comming faster than I can type.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

I wa compleatly missunderstanding it, this sheds a whole new light on things. So if I run 12 volts through the relay how would this differ from an ssr out. The manual said it had ssr capibilities as did the listing on ebay. could this be what they are refering to. And since the wireing diagrams don't jive, this could be why people are having trouble getting to work properly. The one on the ReX website said revised wireing diagram.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #18
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod734 View Post
I wa compleatly missunderstanding it, this sheds a whole new light on things. So if I run 12 volts through the relay how would this differ from an ssr out. The manual said it had ssr capibilities as did the listing on ebay. could this be what they are refering to. And since the wireing diagrams don't jive, this could be why people are having trouble getting to work properly. The one on the ReX website said revised wireing diagram.
No, this is not what they were referring to on the ebay listing. That "voltage pulse output" is something that is available on a different model of the C100, but not available on the one actually being sold.

It differes from an SSR output in two ways:
- you have to provide the DC votage source. a PID with a real SSR output has that stuff built into it
- a real SSR output does not have moving parts like this mechanical relay

You will get something that functions relatively the same as a proper SSR output if you run a DC power source through the built-in relay to drive an SSR, but you will hear the thing clicking as the relay turns on and off. And the amount of clicking on and off will decrease the life of that little relay.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
betadave
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The use of a phone charger to avoid opening the case and finding the voltages driving the relay seems good to me. The current needed is very small and the relay is rated for 10 amps. Should last a long time. I also figured out that the cycle time is adjustable with the T setting showing and inverted L. Make the cycle time something like 20 seconds or more and the relay does not actuate too much. Electrical heating is slow and something like 60 seconds might be just fine.

The other thing I had to figure out by trial and error is the setting SC is an adjustment for the thermocouple readout to correct for errors. I could not find any mention of what that was but finally stumbled into correcting the TC readout to match a trusted thermometer.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
betadave
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

About the wiring diagram, I followed the sticker on the case as I did not have an english instruction set at the time and the controller works. The diagram in the sheet is indeed wrong. It may explain why some of them seem defective?

Quick Reply