Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Response time for RTD Probe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Response time for RTD Probe

I bought a digital temp meter on eBay from Hong Kong on the cheap. I'm testing it out before I cut my panel. Seems to work fine, although I'm curious about the response time on these.

I held the probe up to my heating duct when it came on and it spiked up to 110 or so, then slowly seemed to be climbing. When I took it away from the vent, it took like 60 seconds to wind down to room temp.

I was expecting a more instantaneous reading, but I suppose this kind of performance is to be expected no? I mean, the microprocessor is inside a stainless tube and it's measuring the temp of the tube, right? The metal will take a few seconds to even out.

Or should this have a faster response to temp changes?

I imagine it doesn't matter for making beer, but figured I'd ask. Cheers!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Henrythe9th
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

most of the cheaper thermos and china made controllers use a thermister not a RTD so the response times are much slower

Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrythe9th View Post
most of the cheaper thermos and china made controllers use a thermister not a RTD so the response times are much slower
I bought the RTD probe from Auberins. I bought the digital temp meter from China.

The needles on my temperature gauges were sticking so I decided to go digital.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

You are damn lucky to get a diigi temp meter that accepts a RTD probe.

Your assumption of the heat retention in the probe is spot on. The metal mass of the probe will retain heat that dissipates very slowly to air.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have the same temp meters, it seems to have a very very quick reaction time, much faster than the auber pid. When using it in liquid it heats and cools and you don't see the temp spikes like it's in air.

If anyone is looking for those meters they sell them on eBay for around $15. It does take like a month for shipping though. They are the sane height as the auber pid just twice as long. Very large display and very easy to read. It also reads down to 1/10 of a degree.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I have the same temp meters, it seems to have a very very quick reaction time, much faster than the auber pid. When using it in liquid it heats and cools and you don't see the temp spikes like it's in air.

If anyone is looking for those meters they sell them on eBay for around $15. It does take like a month for shipping though. They are the sane height as the auber pid just twice as long. Very large display and very easy to read. It also reads down to 1/10 of a degree.
I haven't brewed with mine yet, still building the panel, but the bright LED and size is pretty nice. Glad to hear about the reaction time.

By the way, $15 includes shipping from Hong Kong.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Quick Reply