Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Really Confused! Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
lafolielapper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Really Confused! Please Help!

so I am contemplating making the leap into electric brewing since I intend to move to MN here in a few months, and with electric, my brewing season doesn't need to be limited by the typical Minnesota winter weather.

With that said, I am very confused. Everyone says to use a GFCI breaker when going electric, but when I am researching, I am confused what items I need to actually be able to use my setup with a GFCI circuit.

My plan is to use this controller (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...r-306p3084.htm) Don't hate, I'd rather spend the money and have it done right then have a cheapo DIY PWM type setup that I might just screw up anyway. I will also use this element (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...S-306p2669.htm).

My confusion comes from the fact that with the controller, I have the choice of a 3 or 4 wire model for the controller, and since everyone says I'd be stupid not to use GFCI when doing e-brewing, then I obviously must use the 4 wire version. However, the element only comes in a 3 prong variant. I am confused...if the heater is only 3 prong, but the controller is a 4-wire setup, and connected to a GFCI breaker, am I still protected?

Also, since I plan on having my dad (electrician) put the 220V 30A drop in the garage, I assume that this can only be the 4-prong outlet or else it would not be truly GFCI protected? Damn I'm dumb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
tator2k
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

4 prongs allows you to break up the two lines into separate 120 lines to allow you to use the outlet on the box for your pump.

Where are you moving to in MN? I'm currently working on an electric build as well.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
lafolielapper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I won't be using a pump...I use a gravity fed CFC. Unfortunately, I am still confused. The control box does not have a separate outlet for a pump...just one that is tied into the control dial. On the website, it specifically states that in order to hook up the controller to a CFCI circuit, it must have 4 wires. So is this or is this not true.

BTW, I plan on moving to Duluth in 2-3 months. It's where I am from originally, although I did attend school on Burnsville, Lakeville, Northfield, and Hastings before shipping out with the Army and landing here in Colorado for the last 8 years.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafolielapper View Post
if the heater is only 3 prong, but the controller is a 4-wire setup, and connected to a GFCI breaker, am I still protected?

Yes.

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Quick Reply