Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Ready or Not E-BIAB Here I Come....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #131
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 469 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2555

I spaced out my holes a little bit more... I've got the 15.5 gallon stainless Bayou Classic.. used my 1-1/4" Greenlee.. but if I need more holes, no problem making more.

Great build.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #132
brewmcq

Recipes 

Here's the result..

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #133
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Placeholder

Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #134
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmcq View Post
Here's the result..
That works. The way you have them spaced you can add many more in the future if needed.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #135
brewmcq

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post

That works. The way you have them spaced you can add many more in the future if needed.
That was my thought as well. I'm also most likely going to use a stainless mesh "bucket filter" instead of a more traditional bag. I figure that if the filter is slightly smaller than the basket that I should have very few drainage issues..

It'll be an experiment... And a good excuse to brew many batches.. ;-)

I'm very appreciative of your build.. It's always nice to get a build idea, do a quick search here and find someone has already done the hard work.. :-)

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #136
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here is what mine looked like at the time of the build.

This what it looks like now.

At first I wasn't satisfied with the flow I so I open more holes. It helped a little but it will still flow pretty slow on any recipe that has wheat in the grain bill. It took me a while to realize that the flow needed to be slow anyway.
On the flip side, I brewed a red ale the other day and I could leave the valve wide open. Small grain bills will flow like there is nothing in there but for large grain bills you have to choke it off a bit or you will dry fire the element and end up with wort all over the floor.

brewmcq, I hope you will post pictures or do a thread on your stainless bucket filter. That is going to leave a huge dent in your wallet. I considered making a SS mesh filter but the cost was too prohibitive for my blood. pressure.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #137
brewmcq

Recipes 

Quote:
brewmcq, I hope you will post pictures or do a thread on your stainless bucket filter. That is going to leave a huge dent in your wallet. I considered making a SS mesh filter but the cost was too prohibitive for my blood. pressure.
From what I understand, Chad at Arbor Fabricating has spent the past year busting his hump to help and cater to the brewing community.. he enjoys new and challenging projects and seems to be a good dude to work with... and his stuff is top notch at very good prices.. I'm going to be in touch with him in the next month or so to see what we can come up with for a solution... yeah, it'll be spendy, but I think it'll be more than worth it..

I'll definitely post updates, pix, vids, whatever.. but I'll stop hijacking your thread with it. ;-)

Cheers!

Jon

Old 07-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #138
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
<snip> It took me a while to realize that the flow needed to be slow anyway.
<snip>Small grain bills will flow like there is nothing in there but for large grain bills you have to choke it off a bit or you will dry fire the element and end up with wort all over the floor.
Blake,

The 4-way argument: basket vs no basket coupled with recirculate vs no recirc has confused me a bit. That's probably why I haven't actually purchased a kettle to electrify.

I'm wondering - in the case of the small grain bill you mentioned - if much of the wort is simply flowing across the top of your grain bed, out the basket holes above the grain and simply flowing down around the outside of the grain, flowing across the element, then back up. While it doesn't provide a continuous sparge (which isn't really a part of the "true" BIAB anyway) I would think it would still serve to maintain mash temps.

I'm trying to decide between purchasing either (a) a Bayou Classic 15 gallon kettle with basket and spigot or (b) a 15 gallon kettle from Spike Brewing that has a spigot and to which he's welded a 1" NPS coupler for an element. Option "B" would simplify element installation.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #139
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

After doing this for over a year I have my system down to what works for me.
I still use a basket because I discovered that it doesn't restrict the flow like I thought it did. (I opened half of the holes in my basket to to a larger diameter)
Some people are satisfied with just using a bag only but I like using the basket, along with the bag, because it's easier to handle the heavy wet grain once mashing is over. I just pull the basket up and it will sit tilt it on top of the kettle. From there I can squeeze the bag to get all of the wort.
Keep in mind when mashing with a recirculating BIAB system you aren't held to keeping the top closed like a cooler mashtun. Since you are recirculation the whole time you can stir the mash, if you wish, every once in a while to keep consistency without losing your target mash temperature.
If you keep the flow from the pump choked down to a dribble you will get better flow through the grain anyway. I do this on all my mashes now no matter what size grain bill I have.

The Spike Brewing kettle will save you money from the get go because you don't have to buy any knockout punches. No soldering or weldless fittings to mess with. It will cut down considerably on the build time as well.
BTW, the way I built the element box on the kettle was the right way to go. It has held up with no leaks what so ever.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #140
rockinmarty
Big Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 88

seems like a great build. To bad the pics aren't showing.

Tabhair dom beoir nó a thabhairt dom bháis
My E-brewery build(as cheap as possible)(Be patient slow progress)

Quick Reply