New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Quick Q on O-ring Placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
machfive55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Quick Q on O-ring Placement

I've seen designs where the o-ring for the element is on the inside of the pot and the outside. Does it matter which way it is done? Is one way better? I'm leaning toward putting it on the inside.

Also...on element grounding....I assume the outside of the element is grounded through the water and the pot. Correct on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
jCOSbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The sealing surface should be the element flange on the outside of the kettle. If you have the o ring inside the kettle liquid could leak through the element and lock nut threads. I use the stock element gasket to seal against the kettle.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This. My Camco element came with a seal. Put the nut on the inside of kettle. Good to go!

Tempest Bebende!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by machfive55 View Post
I've seen designs where the o-ring for the element is on the inside of the pot and the outside. Does it matter which way it is done? Is one way better? I'm leaning toward putting it on the inside.

Also...on element grounding....I assume the outside of the element is grounded through the water and the pot. Correct on this?
Thanks for posting this question because I was wondering about these too. I guess I'll put the sealing ring on the outside that came with my camco element.

No one answered the grounding question though. Is the element grounded through the liquid? And then you still need to ground the kettle? Right? I'm working my way through everything and the element installation is my last step.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
ComeOnNow
Recipes 

For those of you that used the included camco gasket, what steps did you take to cover the element wiring? Did you just shink wrap it and call it a day?

I'm currently in the process of doing the Kal method, where you cover the element wiring in a weather proof gangbox, which is nice, since it will protect against bumps and bruises, but the camco gasket did seem to hold onto the kettle pretty nicely when I was just test fitting the hole.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
jCOSbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I put a PVC coupling and plug on the wiring with som calk to make it water resistant. Not the most robust method but simple, cheap, and effective.
Make sure the kettle is properly grounded

Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This (again). I've become the aggressive Yes Man for jCOS!
PVC coupling filled with two part epoxy similar to JB Weld. Grounding terminal is soldered to kettle. No problems so far. I have a male plug wired almost on top of the coupling so I can disconnect the extension cord for cleaning the kettle. Having a long wire banging around when rinsing etc. is tough.

Tempest Bebende!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
machfive55
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm going with the electrical box method, but a little different. I've been trying to re-invent the wheel with this though and its taken me longer than I'd like to figure out. Getting close though.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by machfive55 View Post
I'm going with the electrical box method, but a little different. I've been trying to re-invent the wheel with this though and its taken me longer than I'd like to figure out. Getting close though.
I'm interested to hear your different method if you wouldn't mind sharing. I just purchased the gang box and 2 cover plates to follow suit with Kal's build, but am open to other options.

Corey

Quick Reply