Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Quick Getting Started Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
bobby4
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Quick Getting Started Question

After too many frozen hoses in the garage last winter I have decided to migrate to the basement, so I am going electric. I currently do 10 gallon batches with a coleman mash tun, but I don't really want to go to HERMS now (maybe in the future). Is this the diagram I should be starting from?
http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/imag...-e-stop-8a.jpg

I have read a lot of the material on the forum, but it is overwhelming for an electrical beginner. When my father-in-law (ex-nuclear power plant control tech) gets back from Florida in a couple of months he can fill in my many knowledge gaps and make sure I don't kill myself, but I want to get started ordering parts and laying out the basement brew area before he gets back.

As always, thanks in advance!

I should add that I run pumps, so having them powered from the box would be useful. I am also quite keen in temperature control in both my HLT, and of course boil kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
RocketBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would consider all things you might want down the road and leave all doors open that you can so that you don't have to completely rebuild your system.

If you have to run a new 30 amp circuit, consider running 6 ga. wire so that you can change the breaker to 50 amp down the road if you decide you want to run back-to-back batches or add a second element to your kettles or a RIMS.

The same goes for wiring in the panel.

I would recommend getting a large enough enclosure that if you want to expand you have plenty of room to add more PID's, switches, and connectors.

You stated that you are keen on temperature control for both the HLT and BK but the diagram you are using will only let you monitor and control 1 or the other. You will have to switch your RTD connector from the HLT to the BK when you change to BK control. You might want to consider a 2 PID set up if you can afford the extra PID. You wouldn't need to switch your RTD cable and would be able to monitor the temp of both kettles at the same time (even though you can only heat one at a time). A second PID also gives you a "spare" in case one fails.

Your diagram does have control switches/outlets for 2 pumps.

Do a lot of research and consider all things you might want. Best of luck with the build.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
bobby4
Recipes 

Thanks Rocket, that is great information. I have a lot of flexibility in my setup since I am only 10 feet from the electrical panel, and the area isn't finished. I will definitely wire for 50 amps, and might even start there for those times I would like to heat both the HLT and the boiler. I don't want to spend thousands, but I think I am going to look at a second PID as you suggested.
I appreciate the help, these are the "obvious" things I would have thought of too late!

Old 10-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
RocketBrewer
Recipes 

Here is a diagram for a 50 amp 2 PID setup that should be very close to what you want I think. As I said, I would consider getting an enclosure big enough for a third PID between the others in case you decide to add a HERMS or RIMS to your system. Having 50 amps will allow you to heat your strike water in the BK at the same time as heating sparge water in the HLT making the brew day a little quicker. Do as much research as you can before committing. Check out builds others have done and see what you think you might want in your process. Do you want alarms, timers, amp/volt meters, etc.? Spend some time on this thread for more diagrams and ideas. Kal's The Electric Brewery site is FULL of great ideas and information too. He's also a great source for supplies. You may want to do as I did and use ideas from numerous builds.

Good Luck!

auberin-wiring1-a11a-rm-syl-2352-5500w.jpg  

Old 10-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
bobby4
Recipes 

That is funny, that is the diagram that I centred on after your first post (hopefully a good omen)! I am going to follow your advice and size everything for the future. I checked last night and I have lots of room in the panel for running a 50 amp circuit. Additionally I have a number of unused breakers (e.g. I have one for the stove by code, but it is gas and one for a hot tub that has been dead for years), plus and we have a gas water heater and furnace so I don't think our house draws many amps. I am going to wire with 6 ga., and size the enclosure with room to expand. I will do lots of reading in the next while, and maybe even impress my father-in-law when he returns, lol. I think until he returns I am going to focus on research, and brewery layout - I will save the part purchasing until he gets back.
Thanks again for your thoughts, much appreciated!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
RocketBrewer
Recipes 

Be sure to use a GFCI breaker for your safety!

Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
bobby4
Recipes 

Default Quick Getting Started Question

Absolutely, I am (with help) going to install a SPA breaker and GFCI.

Quick Reply