Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Question Regarding Dryer re-wire.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Black_Z28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Question Regarding Dryer re-wire.

So, I'm planning to do a EBIAB in my laundry room, since I already have the 30A hook up. My question is....my dryer is currently hooked up with a 3 prong outlet. I took the receptacle off the wall, and saw that there is a ground wire ran to it. I'm planning to put a 4 wire receptacle in for the EBIAB, but what should I do about the dryer? I assume I will have to upgrade to the newer 4 prong dryer plug, but what do I do with the ground going to the dryer? I've read that most are grounded via the frame? Do I just hook up the two hots and neutral as normal, then ground the ground wire to some place on the frame of the dryer?

Also, I would assume that the ground wire used for the dryer is actually grounded at the main panel, but is the best way to check, by taking the panel front cover off and just making sure the ground goes to the grounding strip?

Thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
vindee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

What is your plan for the fourth wire? I assume you need a neutral for controls?
My guess would be that you don't have that fourth wire (neutral) in your receptacle box anyways. They usually don't run it to a dryer plug.
But if they ran a 4 conductor cable to your receptacle box, you will need a 4 prong dryer plug to match your 4 prong receptacle and just wire it the same way ( 2 hots and the ground). You just don't use the 4th terminal for the dryer.
By code, yes, the ground wire is connected to a ground bus at the panel and the neutral bus is bonded to the ground (at the Panel).
You could use your ground as your neutral, and it would work, but it's not code, and you didn't here that from me!
Steve

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 53

That should be pretty easy, go to your panel, find the dryer breaker and turn it off/on and verify at the plug-in that the power is going on/off to make sure things are labeled correctly. Once you know that, then pull the panel cover off and look at the wires coming in, you should see the ground going to the grounding strip. Sounds like you have a neutral there already which means you should have 10-4 wire going to the outlet though? If for whatever reason you don't have a ground wire going back to the panel I would run one and not rely on the neutral or grounding at the dryer.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Black_Z28
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks guys, I ended up watching a video the night I posted this on wiring a 4 wire on a dryer. I also, took the panel off and discovered that there is a ground and a neutral going to the panel. So, I just have to a get a 4 plug receptacle and 4 plug wire, and hook it up.

Thanks for you help guys.

Quick Reply