Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Question on PWM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
GregKelley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on PWM

I built my PWM using the information in this post. Instead of the 33μF cap, I'm using a 22 (because that was what I found).

When I connect everything up and I put my voltmeter on the output, I get 0v when the pot is turned all the way counterclockwise. Great, power is out. However, when I turn it all the way clockwise, I see my voltmeter cycle between 5v and 0v. I thought I should get 5v the entire time. Am I wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
Swib
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would suggest posting this question in the thread you referenced, and if that doesn't work PM Walker.

My understanding of the PWM is that it basically cycles the power to the element on and off. The more you turn up the potentiometer, the more time the element spends "on". I can't speak to specific voltages, but the fact that it's cycling doesn't seem odd.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregKelley View Post
I built my PWM using the information in this post. Instead of the 33μF cap, I'm using a 22 (because that was what I found).

When I connect everything up and I put my voltmeter on the output, I get 0v when the pot is turned all the way counterclockwise. Great, power is out. However, when I turn it all the way clockwise, I see my voltmeter cycle between 5v and 0v. I thought I should get 5v the entire time. Am I wrong?
Cycling between 0V and 5V would be correct and the percent time it's at 5V represents the PWM duration.

But I would expect to see 5 V all the time when full on and varying PWM depending on where the pot is set.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
GregKelley
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I know it is supposed to cycle but from what I read last night on some other sites, it should be 5v all the time when full on. I'm going to add this question to the PWM thread.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think even at full-on it still cycles but it's like 99% on vs. 1% off. I don't think a typical multimeter will really give you a good sense of the on/off time unless your cycle time is really slow, like >2-3s. I think I have my cycle time set around 0.5s and the multimeter doesn't give me anything indicative.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
GregKelley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
I think even at full-on it still cycles but it's like 99% on vs. 1% off. I don't think a typical multimeter will really give you a good sense of the on/off time unless your cycle time is really slow, like >2-3s. I think I have my cycle time set around 0.5s and the multimeter doesn't give me anything indicative.
My cycle time is around 1.52 seconds. The "off" time is also enough to blink the LED on the SSR.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

The 555 IC is a neat little device. I did a presentation on it in high school and wrote a long paper on it. When wired as a PWM it is an astable circuit; has no stable state.
The Pot will control your duty cycle; 100% will not be reachable with this circuit (0% will not be reachable either).
The frequency will be set by the capacitor that you choose. The smaller the Cap the higher the frequency. You can replace the cap with a variable capacitor to help dial in your system if you wish.
Another tip is to check the resistance of your Pot in the clockwise position where you expect the PWM to be at 100%; should be near 0 ohms.

This is a good site:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Like mredge73 mentioned, you'll never get a full off or full on with a 555 timer based PWM unless your trim pot has an "off" setting. The circuit that I used is very similar. When all the way "off", I get a very faint flicker on an LED that I wired into the output; all the way on results in a very brief dimming of the LED. Hooking up an LED on the output (or use the one on the SSR) will give you a better idea as to what your duty cycle is.

2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvt...inally-298407/

Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
GregKelley
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I'm thinking about getting a little toggle switch and adding it to the PWM circuit. Flip it one way and ground is fed to the PWM and the PWM controls the circuit. Flip it the other way and ground is fed directly to the SSR bypassing the PWM. That way I can get 100% on until the BK reaches boiling.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

Sounds like a plan.
I would use a 3 position switch so you can have ON, OFF, PWM.

Quick Reply