The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Question about plugs and connectors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherwood, Arkansas
Posts: 662
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Question about plugs and connectors

So Im looking for the last Receptacle I need for my control box (NEMA L14-30 (250VAC/30A) twist lock electrical male receptacle) based on theelectricbrewery.com. Im having difficulty finding the right one and wondering if there was any reason why he used a male receptacle and not a female one. The female ones are a lot cheaper and more available and I can easily put a male plug on my power cord. Any ideas?

__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning/Carbonating: Jasmine Green Tea Blonde
Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide
Adeering is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
So Im looking for the last Receptacle I need for my control box (NEMA L14-30 (250VAC/30A) twist lock electrical male receptacle) based on theelectricbrewery.com. Im having difficulty finding the right one and wondering if there was any reason why he used a male receptacle and not a female one. The female ones are a lot cheaper and more available and I can easily put a male plug on my power cord. Any ideas?
Putting a male plug on the output end of a power cord is a VERY serious mistake. Do NOT do that. This exposes live power to you and anyone else near it. Keep in mind that a cord with a plug on it is always an unpowered and safe device by all standards as it should be.

Here is one meant for a different purpose:
homedepot.com NEMA+L14-30

You can take the inlet apart and use it for your rig. At $25 it is a very good deal.

Grainger has them as well but they charge $90 for it. grainger.com Flanged-Inlet-3D090

I hope this helps you.

P-J
__________________
P-J is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

One more source:
amazon.com @ $31.

__________________
P-J is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherwood, Arkansas
Posts: 662
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Thanks for the response, was thinking that would probably be the reason why and right after I posted this I found THIS so ended up getting that.

__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning/Carbonating: Jasmine Green Tea Blonde
Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide
Adeering is offline
P-J Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Thanks for the response, was thinking that would probably be the reason why and right after I posted this I found THIS so ended up getting that.
You did really well finding that one. The price is great also.
Best part for me (never thought of that vendor before) there is a Northern Tools very close to me here in Charlotte. The price is also the same in the store.

Thanks for posting that.

P-J
__________________
P-J is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherwood, Arkansas
Posts: 662
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Yeah, took some crafty ebay search to get it to show up, but its the last piece I need for my control box so once it arrives I can install and wire everything up.

Question about mounting everything to the backplate. Is it required to drill and tap holes. Would be extra tools I need to buy and can use a lot of other means to secure them that will be plenty strong and last. Cant see any reason on any of the parts where grounding would be needed because of it.

__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning/Carbonating: Jasmine Green Tea Blonde
Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide
Adeering is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Yeah, took some crafty ebay search to get it to show up, but its the last piece I need for my control box so once it arrives I can install and wire everything up.

Question about mounting everything to the backplate. Is it required to drill and tap holes. Would be extra tools I need to buy and can use a lot of other means to secure them that will be plenty strong and last. Cant see any reason on any of the parts where grounding would be needed because of it.
Within the control panel, you don't need to provide ground bonding to the components. You do need to bond the box though.
__________________
P-J is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherwood, Arkansas
Posts: 662
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Thats what I thought, the box will be grounded just wanted to make sure

__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning/Carbonating: Jasmine Green Tea Blonde
Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide
Adeering is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard wiring rather than all these plugs? duckdogs Electric Brewing 58 09-10-2012 01:59 PM
Should you use blade connectors for... Dgonza9 Electric Brewing 3 03-26-2012 04:16 AM
Power connectors kerklein2 Electric Brewing 38 02-17-2012 09:31 PM
XLR connectors waterproof? terrazza Electric Brewing 7 07-16-2011 05:15 AM
NEMA Plugs wegz15 Electric Brewing 10 03-22-2011 06:02 AM