Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Question about my dryer outlet and a 3500watt element (w pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

SweetSounds, I think that we agree the OP should use some type of GFCI in his circuit (what kind maybe depending on whether his outlet is used for other purposes and if so, what type of load he has on it) and that it is probably not a good idea to use the GFCI breaker to turn his element on and off many times during each brew to control the boil level.

EDIT: Just realized I misplaced (and just now found) the metal cover plate for my spa disconnect panel - the one that covers up all the hot wiring. I never installed it because I have another breaker installed in that box, for reasons that are OT, but anyway you can ignore my comment about safety being a concern while using the spa disconnect breaker as a turn on/off. Guess I need to make another cutout for the second breaker and install that plate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #22
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
SweetSounds, I think that we agree the OP should use some type of GFCI in his circuit (what kind maybe depending on whether his outlet is used for other purposes and if so, what type of load he has on it) and that it is probably not a good idea to use the GFCI breaker to turn his element on and off many times during each brew to control the boil level.
I will point out that opening the door on the breaker panel at my house does not expose any "hot" metal parts, only the front of the breakers protruding through cutouts in a grounded metal plate, whereas the spa disconnect panels I'm talking about do have "hot" conductors exposed. These conductors are somewhat shielded by barriers but can still be easily touched by someone who is not aware of the danger or is a little careless (one of these is right next to the breaker handle and about 2 inches below it), hence my comment regarding safety, directed mainly at those who may not be experienced at working around high voltage circuits.
I've never seen one like that...

Definitely - Don't touch the shiny parts!
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a lot for the advice. The receptacle is used for a dryer when I would not be using it for a kettle.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
I've never seen one like that...

Definitely - Don't touch the shiny parts!

See my edit above. I totally forgot I had never installed that cover inside the box.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #25
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
See my edit above. I totally forgot I had never installed that cover inside the box.
No worries! I was starting to think I need to do more research into spa panels!
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Quick Reply