Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Question about mounting element in keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Question about mounting element in keggle

I mounted a 2000k element in my keggle today. I'm getting ready to wire it up and pot it in epoxy.

My question is this. I removed the little black gasket on the element before installing it in the keggle. It seemed like it was making it hard for me to get the food grade silicone gasket and the locknut on the threads.

Any reason to keep the original gasket on the outside of the keggle? I have no leaks, just wondering about temperatures from the brew kettle affecting the element connections on the outside.

Thanks.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Don't use that black gasket, it's not food-grade. Take it and put it in a coffee mug with some water, then nuke it for a few minutes. Let the water cool then taste, do you want that in your brew?

If you've got no leaks you should be good to go!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I meant on the outside of the keggle, but point taken.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Quick Reply