Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > question about heating element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
stoneyrok
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well all, this is a Charmglow 28qt electric turkey fryer from Home Depot. It is made by masterbuilt. Some came with a spigot and some didn't. I cannot find the manual, but the heating elements lift right out and there is a tag on it that reads 13.75 amps, 60Hz 120VAC, 1650W. It looks exactly like this one, which is a masterbuilt http://www.turkey-fryers.com/etfv_turkey_fryer_kits.htm but mine does not have the spigot. It is basically the same as the Turf N' Surf Electric Turkey Fryer by masterbuilt, just under a different name. I am guessing a flash in the pan attempt at a new line and sent to Home Depot. From what I read somewhere else 1650W is not that much, but I don't know. Question is will it boil 6.5 gallons of water, and if so will it burn the wort. - I guess what I could do is use this to keep my sparge water at the correct temp for mashing, then my buddy is going to sell me a 9 gallon pot. I have a propane buner that came off of a side burner of a grill, but I am not sure if that has enough BTU's to boil 6.5 gallons fast enough. I guess that would be the plan. Use this for sparge water, and possibly buy a new burner to boil in the 9 gallon SS pot. Also this turkey fryer has a SS coil, but the tub is actually aluminum.

what are your thoughts now?

Last edited by stoneyrok; 03-24-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #12
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

@1650W you're not pushing a whole lot of power. Enough to hold a mash at temp or maybe even heat your strike water within a reasonable time frame but probably not enough to really boil with. Now, if you used a 1500W heatstick in conjunction with that I think you would be just fine.

For a bit of comparison, I can just barely hold a boil with a 2000W element in 6.5 gallons of wort.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #13
stoneyrok
Recipes 

yeah, thanks for the feedback man, I think I will use it for my mash water, then after I put in the right amount of mash water, then I will use it to get my sparge water ready.. now i just have to find a great propane burner. thanks to everyone!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyrok View Post
yeah, thanks for the feedback man, I think I will use it for my mash water, then after I put in the right amount of mash water, then I will use it to get my sparge water ready.. now i just have to find a great propane burner. thanks to everyone!
Just so you can plan, if your tap water is 55F it will take around 55mins to get your strike water up to 170F.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply