Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > PWM..Show us How

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Yeah, now that I re-read my post I have no idea why I posted it like that. I guess that's what happens when you are trying to install Exchange Server and figure Mash Adjustments while reading and posting on HBT...

The image above has a very good sample of the frequency showing the hotter vs the cooler pulse widths. It's more about the time per pulse that the element is on vs the time per pulse that it's off.
I feel ya, I'm in the middle of putting a new Barracuda Backup server right now.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #12
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyb View Post
Here's a diagram I made. I tried to keep it simple. Hopefully it's enough to get you going. It's easier to understand once you get your hands on this stuff and start piecing it together.
Very nice diagram! Thank you for posting it.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyb

Here's a diagram I made. I tried to keep it simple. Hopefully it's enough to get you going. It's easier to understand once you get your hands on this stuff and start piecing it together.
Just picked up my heating element! Just gots to wire it up!!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
vballdrummer
Recipes 

Be careful here. I know some might argue the HBT board goes a bit overboard when it comes to safety, but is that really possible when we're using water, metal tanks and 30-50 amps at 115 to 230 V?

Specifically, the following concerns on the discussed schematic.

1. There is no ground shown. ALWAYS use ground; no exceptions -- this absolutely should be shown on any schematic we post.
  2. Once the DPDT is switched ON, you'll have 120V at the element. This combined with no ground to the tanks could make for a very bad brewing day.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
freddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballdrummer View Post
Be careful here. I know some might argue the HBT board goes a bit overboard when it comes to safety, but is that really possible when we're using water, metal tanks and 30-50 amps at 115 to 230 V?

1. There is no ground shown. ALWAYS use ground; no exceptions -- this absolutely should be shown on any schematic we post.
  2. Once the DPDT is switched ON, you'll have 120V at the element. This combined with no ground to the tanks could make for a very bad brewing day.

Good point! Grounding the element/kettle to the house wiring is essential. I'll need to update the diagram.

And yes, DPDT switch should only be ON when you want the element to be ON. This is manual control.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballdrummer

[*]There is no ground shown. ALWAYS use ground; no exceptions -- this absolutely should be shown on any schematic we post.[*]Once the DPDT is switched ON, you'll have 120V at the element. This combined with no ground to the tanks could make for a very bad brewing day.
Thanks vballdrummer!!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
vballdrummer
Recipes 

Just points for any unsuspecting members that grab up a schematic for a blind build. Some of the questions in the Electric Brewing thread are causes for concern.

For noobs, the element is HOT (electrically speaking) even thought the PWM circuit is turned all the way down (off)

Let's go brew!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
Tuzlo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyb View Post

Do you really need a 40 A SSR. I plan on using 240 V 4500 W heater. The math says 18.75 A Max, with a 25% safety margin can you not use a 25 A SSR?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #19
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You don't NEED a 40A SSR but it will operate much cooler than a 25A SSR, and for the difference in price it's great peace of mind.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
staab016
Recipes 

What about the switch? is 30A required there, or is 20A enough?

Quick Reply