Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > pvtschultz's eBIAB Build, Finally!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
pvtschultz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default pvtschultz's eBIAB Build, Finally!

I have been squirreling away money for most of the summer to build an eBIAB brewery in my basement. My work came through with some bonus money again this year which gave me enough money to pull the trigger on the build. I've been working in the background on this for a few months and never posted anything, so now you can have it all at once.

The premise of the the design is to be able to brew year-round without having to drag all of my equipment outside to the garage to use the Cajun burner. I have a decent sized laundry area with 30a 220VAC service, an outside vent, and water; everything needed to brew beer. I decided to stick to a single vessel BIAB setup. I opted for a 5500W element since I have 30A available and I may want to try a larger batch down the road. I legally acquired a couple 1/2 barrel kegs from a friend in the business (use for the second is TBD) and a cart made of extruded aluminum from my employer.

I have a for-profit word carving hobby that used to share the same area as the laundry so that needed to be be partitioned off first before anything could happen to keep the dust out. But first, we needed to clean the basement! I didn't take pictures, but let's just say the folks at Good Will got two truck loads of stuff. I got the wall built, found space for the ferm chest freezer, and started in on the build.

While I was accumulating funds and parts, I took some time to draw up my wiring diagram. P-J has been infinitely helpful (even though he doesn't know it yet) with general design. I opted for a cheap controller which ended up not having a manual PWM function. To rectify, I added a PWM circuit to the control panel which would otherwise be redundant with the Auber unit. BUY THE AUBER UNIT AND SAVE THE EXTRA WORK. So here's the schematic.

And the PWM circuit that I used.

And the layout that I decided for the panel.

2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvt...inally-298407/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Everything kind of happened at once, but I got the cart reconfigured to my needs, completed the keggle, got the controller wired up, and found a top for the cart.

As for the keggle, I drilled the holes with the cheap step bits that Harbor Freight sells. GO SLOW! I burnt up a couple of the steps but was able to get all the holes drilled with the one set. My work had a 1" NPT tap that I used to deepen the taper of the coupling threads to allow the o-ring of the element to seal. I soldered the couplings per the thread in the DIY forum, dimple and all. I cut the bottom off of the keg and used a 2" tri-clamp to utilize the keg thingymobob. I drilled and tapped the 2" cap for a 3/4" NPT bottom dump valve to allow CIP.

I mounted an outdoor outlet enclosure over the 1" pipe coupling using JB Weld (we'll see how it lasts). The keg is grounded to the cart, the element is grounded to panel, and the panel is also grounded to the cart. I am using the Home Depot GFI spa panel for cheap insurance.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sold...-steel-155782/

I mounted the control panel and determined how I was going to connect the panel to the element. From there I stained the top, applied the polyurethane finish, and finished the wiring.

I know that there is a lot that I forgot to mention, that's the crappy thing about posting it all at once. I'm going to plug it in for the first time tonight and hopefully heat water for the first time. If all goes well, I'm going to brew up the maiden batch of beer next week (timing issues) and try out my new fermentation chamber as well. I'll post again tonight once I get water boiling assuming I did my wiring correctly in the panel.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Brew52
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Is that a 5500W - LWD element in there from Home Depot? Just asking because that's what I bought for my keggle but haven't installed it yet and now I know what it will look like if that's what you're using. Thanks for the pics.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I bought it through Amazon but it is the same thing AFAIK. It is really an ULWD element and yours should say the same thing on the packaging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Wa...atalogId=10053

Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Brew52
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Got it. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

looking good!

Jeremy @ Lucky Chicken Brewery

Electric Build

Kegerator build

Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great job man!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
rshortt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great job! My keggle is the same way, inverted using a 2" triclover on the sankey port. Why do you bother having a ball valve on the side when you could use the one on the bottom. So you can whirlpool and avoid the trub in the middle?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Why do you bother having a ball valve on the side when you could use the one on the bottom. So you can whirlpool and avoid the trub in the middle?
I used to dump the entire contents of the BK into primary. I'm wanting more and more to harvest yeast to use for small test batches of beer and all the extra trub in the beer makes harvesting difficult at best. I'm hoping to whirlpool most of the stuff out of the wort now for less in primary. If anything, I'll be able to use the extra side port for recirculation down the road should I ever want to try that.

And the bad news of the night, the dryer cord that I bought is not the same as the plug that I have on the wall for my existing dryer. Technically I should be upgrading the dryer receptacle to a four prong, but then I would have to buy two new cords and a receptacle. I'm going to run to Menards tomorrow to decide if I am going to replace the dryer receptacle and dryer cord or just find a new cord for my spa panel. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to fire it up.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, our washing machine took a crap so I found a great washer/dryer set on craigslist. The dryer comes with the correct 3-prong (mine had the range style three straight blades) so I changed out the receptacle and plugged her in for the first time. Everything works except for the damned SSR. Go figure, a guy buys the cheapest one that he could find from China and it doesn't work. I can measure voltage across the load terminals so I have connectivity and I can measure the voltage source to SSR, but it doesn't trigger. I'll have to make sure that I have the polarity correct on it, but it should be.

Is there anyone in the Milwaukee area that has a spare 25+ Amp SSR handy? The good news is that everything else works fine.

Quick Reply