Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Pros/Cons of going Full Electric??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Gotcha. I couldn't leave a window open down here in Florida during the summer time! Already have a $200+ summer time energy bill as it is! Don't need to A/C the block!
To clarify, just during the boil. There isn't much steam any other time in the process. So figure, an hour of window open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #12
dburgette
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Yes. A hood is definitely a strong suggestion when brewing indoors. The only con would have to be start up costs.

When I was looking into electric there was one post somewhere that sealed the deal. It said something to the effect that you never hear of anyone going back to gas once converted to electric...everyone always comes from gas and converts to electric. I haven't looked back.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
rspiger
Recipes 

The question with a hood is the price. The in vortex is not bad but steam hoods are around $700 on up. I just bought three 25g kettles from spike's kettles (inexpensive and heavy duty) so to do 15 gallon batches I'm going to boil off 2 to three gallons of water. Got to have a hood.

Is there a place to buy good hoods inexpensively?

Blasted Bassette Brewery

Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspiger View Post
The question with a hood is the price. The in vortex is not bad but steam hoods are around $700 on up. I just bought three 25g kettles from spike's kettles (inexpensive and heavy duty) so to do 15 gallon batches I'm going to boil off 2 to three gallons of water. Got to have a hood.

Is there a place to buy good hoods inexpensively?
The cheapest thing I have seen used for a hood is a plastic tote. Certainly doesnt look good but Im sure it works well. I will edit if I can find the thread it was in.

Heres the post I saw it in. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/exha...ml#post4443636

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
tmcmaster007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My hood is just various pieces of duct work attached with an inline hydroponic fan hooked to it and vented outside the house. Used the largest flared ductwork i could find and hung it over the BK. Probably cost less than $100 including the fan and have had zero steam/condensation issues.

Pros: indoor brewing, cool factor

Cons: startup costs.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

To put the final nail in the scorching/carmelizing concerns, I just took 1st place with an American lite lager at the Blue Ridge Brew off in Asheville and that beer went through a hard, 90 minute boil on my electric kettle (5500watt ULWD element). If ever there was a beer that would show off scorching or any off flavors, it would be a lite lager. It was a tasty summer brew too, much better than a commercial lager. Ultra low watt density element is the key to good e-brewing.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Fly_Rodder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I built my hood out of foil-backed insulation and 1x2s connected to 6" round duct with a Hydrofarm Active Air 6 inch In-Line Fan (400 CFM) currently on sale on Amazon. Then out of the fan there's a length of 6" ---> 6"-4" reducer ---> 4" semi-rigid dryer duct --> to the dryer vent with a Dryer Dock Vent Hose Quick Connect (also at Amazon). It's not 100% suction, I still have some condensation in the hood towards the end of the boil and I usually just wipe it out with a paper towel.

Picture shows a full boil.

img_0850a.jpg  

Reason: removed duplicate photo
tre9er Likes This 
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Some guys build a hood from wood then line it with FRP panels (cheap) and silicone the seams. Then run the duct to a vortex or similar fan. Check auctions/kitchen sales as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
rspiger
Recipes 

Thanks for the ideas, I think wood and the plastic panels are the way for me to go. AS long as I have good air movement it should be fine

Blasted Bassette Brewery

Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What about using your existing hood fan if brewing in the kitchen? Maybe hook some duct to it and run it to the boil kettle with a bigger hood to catch the steam.

Quick Reply