Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Propane to all out electric build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #61
garbageman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So you say even though the grain bed is holding at the correct mash temp, I need to more concerned with the temp flowing through the tube. I read the grain bed temp but not as an output control.

My worry would be the grain bed temp holding at 144 if I hold the RIMS tube exit at 151.

My Electric Brewery Picasa Web Albums
Ratebeer profile: Ratebeer.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #62
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

That's what I do (on a direct fire system), and that seems to be the collective wisdom on HBT. In fact, I don't observe a constant gap between the grain bed and the hottest point in my RIMS loop (in my case, the output of the kettle). It depends on the length of time since I mashed in, the flow rate, the mash thickness, etc. When the gap gets large I stir the hell out of my grain bed, and that usually narrows the gap by a few degrees.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #63
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, so I ran again today.

A play on Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale but using Jade hops for middle and late additions. Also will dry hop a small amount before kegging.

Ambient was 60 degrees, but I think my keggle MLT still needs a jacket. Closer to temp today. Set at 151 at exit on tube, MLT grain bed read a stead 146-147. My efficiency was off .003. Not bad for single infused mashing. I did add an extra # of base malt.

Tasted and smelled good. Still no scorching or problems I couldn't fix. Even though I'm in the garage, vented to outside, the whole house had a wonderful sweet malt aroma to it.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #64
LKHA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

My question is with condensation with all your lighting and electronics mounted how is it wirking. my next step is a hood.

I have seem some TERRIBLE advice on here in the past few months. I may even be guilty of bad advice myself.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #65
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hood is under construction. I've brewed 3 times on it so far over the last two weeks. All three times I was in the 60s so I opened the garage door and turned on a small fan. The BK is right by the garage door, so it rolled right out.

Not worried about electronics, but have some sealed LED spots that I may use in the hood and over the work space. Just need to see how brite they are and if they will work. I do not like the hanging light I have now.

LKHA Likes This 

Quick Reply