*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Propane to all out electric build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
boneman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The woodwork top is great. What are your plans with the propane rig? Will you be using the same rig and just converting to electric elements?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For now still brewing on the propane rig. Hoping to brew on electric in 3 weeks. Then the propane rig goes up for sale. In the spring, once I can clean the rest of the garage, I plan to add a sink and scrub area opposite of the brew bench. Been stoping in at the kitchen surplus and government surplus looking for a stainless sink and prep table.

I'm adding the copper fresh water supply to the bench this weekend and filtration system.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #13
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

are you planning on getting new vessels? if so, i suggest you investigate bottom drain vessels. not needing Dip Tubes and the ability to Clean In Place is epic. one of the best things about electric

Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I agree. Using my keggles for now. I have a 7.5 gallon for my mash tun and a 15 gallon for boil kettle. For the mash tun it will be easy and will add either a false bottom or a stainless screen coil. I have an immersion chiller for BK and am going to set it up to whirlpool while cool down. So an offset bottom drain may work for that. Need to find photo examples and threads on what people are using.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
slakwhere
Recipes 

you will be able to put the Immersion Chiller in the HLT to manage mash temps (HERMS) if you are having issues holding heat in the mash for an hour. my 15 gallon MLT wouldn't hold temps, but i really like HERMS. gives me the ability to recirc the mash for an hour through the coil so the beer comes out crystal clear and i hit my temp dead on for whatever length of time i want. plus i can ramp up for mash out or step mashes if necessary.

as for the keg mash tun, i love my false bottom. it blew my stainless filter thing out of the water.

i have a side pickup in my propane fired rig, but i was never patient enough to let everything precipitate out... so all it did for me was waste about a gallon of beer in the bottom of the keg. if you can wait the few minutes for everything to settle it's a great method. i switched to a counterflow chiller and bottom drain so i can save a couple bucks on ingredients for that extra gallon or 2 i don't really NEED to brew. Trub in the fermenter isn't the end of the world.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
rpryor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Loving that stand!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
you will be able to put the Immersion Chiller in the HLT to manage mash temps (HERMS) if you are having issues holding heat in the mash for an hour. my 15 gallon MLT wouldn't hold temps, but i really like HERMS. gives me the ability to recirc the mash for an hour through the coil so the beer comes out crystal clear and i hit my temp dead on for whatever length of time i want. plus i can ramp up for mash out or step mashes if necessary.

as for the keg mash tun, i love my false bottom. it blew my stainless filter thing out of the water.

i have a side pickup in my propane fired rig, but i was never patient enough to let everything precipitate out... so all it did for me was waste about a gallon of beer in the bottom of the keg. if you can wait the few minutes for everything to settle it's a great method. i switched to a counterflow chiller and bottom drain so i can save a couple bucks on ingredients for that extra gallon or 2 i don't really NEED to brew. Trub in the fermenter isn't the end of the world.
I'm setting it up using a brewers hardware RIMS system. I have a jay bird false bottom that I'm going to use and now add a bottom drain for the mash tun.

I plan to whirlpool the wort using the pump while cooling using the immersion chiller to help aid. Does the counter chiller not get clogged on yours with hops going through? I would think a bottom drain would pass all the hop sludge and clog the counter chiller.

The bottom drains are for clean in place on mine.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
slakwhere
Recipes 

the IC goes in the kettle and you pass cold water through it. it never sees wort on the inside.

i have a whirlpool arm i use, but it's never had any problems with hop residue. i use a hop spider or hop bags and haven't had a problem. i start the pump with 10 min to go in the boil, then recirc while cooling so the pump, lines and recirc port are all sanitary from the boil.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Understand the IC, used one for years. But do you drain/pull from the bottom of the kettle when you cool sucking all the trub through while cooling?

And I was thinking you had a plate chiller, not counter.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
slakwhere
Recipes 

yes, i pull it all. i am not skurred of a little hop debris and trub. we will see if this changes over time.

Quick Reply