Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Prebuilt Control Panels?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
bf514921
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok another thought for the piece of mind, the fancyest controlpannel won't do you any good if the rest of the system isn't properly grounded.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf514921 View Post
ok another thought for the piece of mind, the fancyest controlpannel won't do you any good if the rest of the system isn't properly grounded.
Very true.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't get discouraged, all you have to do is take the leap, i built mine from all the information on here, made 4-5 batches on it and keep messing with it and improving it. if your looking to keep costs down, there are plenty of setups that use only 1 controller with a toggle switch for output from the controller to control multiple elements. plus there are always easier options than wiring into the breaker box, mine runs off the dryer plug and i have a spa panel plugged into it. I had the same worry about shcking the hell out of myself or starting an electrical fire. Invest in a good multimeter and test until your satisfied.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For $800-1000 you could build Kal's control panel (www.theelectricbrewery.com)
I'm gathering parts for it now

Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I don't think that making commercial control panels will be a profitable business. Every brewery is different and every control panel will be different. The amount of customization will make it very expensive to build one off's for every different brewery, not to mention UL approvals and such.

Guy

Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
weremichael
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfieldenator View Post
For $800-1000 you could build Kal's control panel (www.theelectricbrewery.com)
I'm gathering parts for it now
That would require me to put it together though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf514921
Don't get discouraged, all you have to do is take the leap, i built mine from all the information on here, made 4-5 batches on it and keep messing with it and improving it. if your looking to keep costs down, there are plenty of setups that use only 1 controller with a toggle switch for output from the controller to control multiple elements. plus there are always easier options than wiring into the breaker box, mine runs off the dryer plug and i have a spa panel plugged into it. I had the same worry about shcking the hell out of myself or starting an electrical fire. Invest in a good multimeter and test until your satisfied.
I appreciate your encouragement. Any links to a safe, simple setup. I would like the ability to control the output of the elements. I can use my own thermometer to avoid wiring in PIDs and temperature probes.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
I used this thread as a model and it doesn't show the temp probe wired to to the BCS unit for feedback but that is another 2 wires similar to the SSR.
I am glad to see that what I felt might be a very elementary question is helpful to others too!

The BCS really is fantastic, and as stated, wiring the temp probe is just hooking up a positive the two wires to their respective receptacles on the BCS.

Good luck!

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #18
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
That is the trick isn't it? What is my time worth and how much frustration would the process garner? And in the end, I just want to brew good beer in my basement on a safe electric setup.

I'm gonna hold off on purchasing a brewmation one though, because I think that I've inspired Kal. He's looking for an American partner to build systems for sale in the US.

I appreciate everyone's input, though.
Really? I would be very interested if Kal incorporated BCS-460/462 into his control box. How soon is he planning on this? I'm not really looking to wait much longer.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
weremichael
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke View Post
Really? I would be very interested if Kal incorporated BCS-460/462 into his control box. How soon is he planning on this? I'm not really looking to wait much longer.
He was looking for a partner in his thread a few days ago. I am beginning to understand why people are talking about the 460/462. I just need to take the time and find a very simple control panel design to hook the 460/462 up to.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #20
bullywee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I along with 3 other "mental" individuals are in the process of building a 20-25gal ,electric, BCS,RIMS system. We went all out, Blichmann kettles and all stainless! We looked at pre-made systems but none met our cost/volume requirements. 2 of us are aircraft mechanics and one is a car mechanic so we have a decent understanding of tooling and electrical systems, but there is a lot to be learned. This forum and others are a great resource. Definatley an adventure cant wait for the results!

Quick Reply