Power limitations for upcoming eBIAB build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages for a new eBIAB system, learning as much as I can about electricity before proceeding, and need to know what I've got to work with. I've got a three-prong dryer plug:
Photo%20Mar%2031%2C%204%2001%2015%20PM.jpg

that runs to a 2-pole breaker:
Photo%20Mar%2031%2C%204%2001%2057%20PM.jpg

I'm wanting to use a 4500w or 5500w element (or maybe a BoilCoil) with THIS panel setup.

Can I do it? Also, would I need a 120v or 240v pump?

You have a 30Amp 240V outlet. I's more than enough for 4500Watt element.
To get a 4 wire you need an additional ground wire. Take a look inside outlet's mounting box (switch off 30Amp breaker first. There is a good chance you'll found ground wire inside. If so you can just a replace 3 prong receptacle to 4 prong. it will cost you around $6 and takes around 10 minutes. When you decide to move out - just switch 3-prong receptacle back.

You have a 30Amp 240V outlet. I's more than enough for 4500Watt element.
To get a 4 wire you need an additional ground wire. Take a look inside outlet's mounting box (switch off 30Amp breaker first. There is a good chance you'll found ground wire inside. If so you can just a replace 3 prong receptacle to 4 prong. it will cost you around $6 and takes around 10 minutes. When you decide to move out - just switch 3-prong receptacle back.

$6 and 10 minutes definitely work for me. Hypothetically though, if I don't have a ground wire inside, cost to upgrade?

you can find a ground wire in the distribution box. just take it from there and connect to your kettle. Ground wire is not required for control panel functioning you need ground for your safety.

A lot of builds, including mine, incorporate a spa panel to provide GFCI protection. The spa panel will work with either a 3 wire or 4 wire feed. Search for P-J's diagrams on the spa panel wiring to see how to set it up.

A lot of builds, including mine, incorporate a spa panel to provide GFCI protection. The spa panel will work with either a 3 wire or 4 wire feed. Search for P-J's diagrams on the spa panel wiring to see how to set it up.

Beat me to it. Go with the spa panel, you'll need it anyway for GFI protection.

GFCI protection is a nice addition to your safety. However it's better to have a proper grounding without a GFCI than to have a GFCI without proper grounding.

Awesome. Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna track down my landlord today and see if he/we can change it over to 4-prong, then go the spa panel route. Might as well try to be as safe as I can be.

Could I impose upon you all for one more question? I've asked this in the thread about the box I'm building, but nobody's answered, so maybe you can help here. In that box the maker has what looks like a 3-prong dryer plug for the pump, but has labeled it "15A 120v". Don't most 120v pumps have a standard 3-prong wall plug? (see below) Did I miss something? Would I need to change the plug on the pump?

Thanks again!

panel-power-dry-fits.jpg

chugger_pump_918.jpg

yes, you need to rewire plug on your pump. I can't read what exactly written on that pump's receptacle. Most likely 120V version of twist lock. If so you can buy a plug in a Home Depot for 10-15 dollars.

yes, you need to rewire plug on your pump. I can't read what exactly written on that pump's receptacle. Most likely 120V version of twist lock. If so you can buy a plug in a Home Depot for 10-15 dollars.

Here's what it says on the diagram from that page: "Element 10A/120v NEMA L5-15 Outlet".

You could also just use a regular three prong panel mount receptacle like this one for your pump. You can usually buy them for around $1 or less. The one thing to keep in mind about clipping the factory plug on your pump and rewiring to a twist lock is that it can void your warranty. I have a three prong panel mount on my control panel, and I've never had it pulled out.

FWIW, If I had to do it over again, I would just hard wire the female end of an extension cord into my panel to get power to the pump, because the cord on the pump wasn't long enough to reach the panel anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back