The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > possible control panel enclosure?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
HHP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harker Heights, Texas
Posts: 374
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default HHP's 2 tier, 1 pump build thread

I am designing my system, which is going to be relatively simple. It is going to be based on the second wiring diagram from this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/sim...-1-pid-221403/ although I am going to add an E-Stop circuit similar to Ohio-Ed's.

I also think I would like to have the pumps mounted in the case if possible.

Would this tool box contain everything?
http://www.amazon.com/BOLTON-TOOLS18.../dp/B003XVMHAE

I just think it would look sweet to have a briefcase style toolbox control panel for my new brew rig, because I would like rig to be semi-portable.

__________________
HHP is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 832
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

To be honest with you, just look on ebay for metal enclosures. You can find them really cheap. I purchased a 12x12x6 that already had a back plate in it. The only problem was there already was a 2" hole cut in the top and I needed to cover it. I got a metal electrical outlet cover and jb welded it to the opening. Then it did have scratched in it so i bought some paint and it looks brand new..

Tool boxes are not water safe. If you get a enclosure make sure it has a splash rating or a gasket.

__________________
pola0502ds is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
RDWHAHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 834
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I've got a metal enclosure at home I'll sell you. I think it is 12*12*6. It has some cut outs though. They would fit a PID & switches depending on what size you use.

__________________
RDWHAHB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
HHP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harker Heights, Texas
Posts: 374
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I would rather have a plastic briefcase like this if it will work...

The amazon page says its watertight, and how water tight can anything with holes cut in it, and components mounted be anyways?

__________________
HHP is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
RDWHAHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 834
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Should work. Components can be watertight. Look for NEMA ratings on components. NEMA 4 will get you there. NEMA 12 is more of a drip rating.
The plastic might be kinda thick; that might make mounting some things tough. Heat build-up might be worse as well, but not likely a huge problem.

__________________
RDWHAHB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Squeeky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 509
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I'm sure P-J will be in the thread as well, but if you need help with anything on the diagram or questions feel free to PM me. My panel is completed and housed with my March pump. This was somewhat of a concern with liquid so close, but with pump head mounted vertically and ball valve on output, the chance of wort entering the tool box is very slim. Still thinking of a way to ensure no liquid enters, but I guess thats why we use GFCI.

__________________
Squeeky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Inodoro_Pereyra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 868
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWHAHB View Post
Should work. Components can be watertight. Look for NEMA ratings on components. NEMA 4 will get you there. NEMA 12 is more of a drip rating.
The plastic might be kinda thick; that might make mounting some things tough. Heat build-up might be worse as well, but not likely a huge problem.
Or you can easily solve both problems by crafting an interior panel (you can make it out of aluminum, for example), and mounting the controls to it. That way, there'd be no holes to the case, and it'd be watertight as long as you keep it closed.
__________________

A pessimist is a well informed optimist.

Inodoro_Pereyra is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
RDWHAHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 834
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'll also add:
I don't claim you need a NEMA rating; I was just saying that it is possible (in response to your question).

__________________
RDWHAHB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeky View Post
I'm sure P-J will be in the thread as well, but if you need help with anything on the diagram or questions feel free to PM me. My panel is completed and housed with my March pump. This was somewhat of a concern with liquid so close, but with pump head mounted vertically and ball valve on output, the chance of wort entering the tool box is very slim. Still thinking of a way to ensure no liquid enters, but I guess thats why we use GFCI.
Ha.! I've been watching it since HHP started it. I'll jump in when the concerns turn to the wiring and/or the process function.

Just to weigh in a little, I often recommend the Auberin Instruments - Project Box for this wiring setup. (Squeeky - you know that as I recommended it to you as well.) It's not a water proof box. I have my reasons and recommend it without reservation. It's about the process. Safety is built in with a properly wired & managed rig.

P-J
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
HHP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harker Heights, Texas
Posts: 374
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Ha.! I've been watching it since HHP started it. I'll jump in when the concerns turn to the wiring and/or the process function.

Just to weigh in a little, I often recommend the Auberin Instruments - Project Box for this wiring setup. (Squeeky - you know that as I recommended it to you as well.) It's not a water proof box. I have my reasons and recommend it without reservation. It's about the process. Safety is built in with a properly wired & managed rig.

P-J
Good to know P-J, I'll bite.

So I would like to have one pump mounted right away, and possibly later add another pump (just going with one right now for cost reasons).

Now for some basic wiring questions: When I see other peoples rigs they seem to have a raised piece of something, be it plastic or metal that all of their components are mounted to. If this were your project, how exactly would you go about wiring this up?
__________________
HHP is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Control Panel VS Computer Bru Electric Brewing 14 01-26-2012 01:35 AM
Yoopers New Control Panel lschiavo Electric Brewing 69 04-13-2011 01:39 PM
Control Panel Breakers DeeDub76 Electric Brewing 4 01-26-2011 05:09 PM
control panel on/off switch stevehaun Electric Brewing 3 12-18-2010 03:49 PM
need input on control panel SpaceCoastBrew Electric Brewing 13 10-28-2010 02:28 PM



Newest Threads