The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Pol 2 cooler herms clone with control panel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
smittygouv30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Pol 2 cooler herms clone with control panel

Hello all.

It's my turn to upgrade my brewing system. I'm looking to put together a clone of pols 2 cooler system, but I don't intend to go ALL electric. What I mean, is I'll keep using propane to heat my boil kettle but I will use a 120v heating element and HERMS, maintained via a temperature controller.

I have read many hours of threads here and it seems clear that using a simple ranco controller and pump is the easiest way. But of course I don't want THAT. Call me superficial i you want, but I really want to have a baller control panel. I want it to be user friendly and look the part! I realize this is far from necessary, but why not?

I really like the PID as it has the dual digital readout of set temp and actual temp for the HLT. Since I'm not using a "mega" element like most here, and instead using a 1500w 120v, could someone point me to which temp controller, SSR, and heat sink I need?

Keg 1: The Electric S'more Stout
Keg 2: Sorachi Ace Clone
Keg 3: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Keg 4: Two-hearted Ale clone

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Lemongrass Wheat Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
smittygouv30
Recipes 

This is the type of PID I'm looking for... http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=3

I also want to mount a digital thermometer to the control panel face. Can any one recommend a good digital mountable temperature display that has a quality temperature sensor that can be used in thermocouple or thermowell. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just get 2 of the same temp controllers and leave 1 unconnected to anything. I'd use 1 to control the element/HLT and the other to just display the mash temp.

Keg 1: The Electric S'more Stout
Keg 2: Sorachi Ace Clone
Keg 3: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Keg 4: Two-hearted Ale clone

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Lemongrass Wheat Kolsch

Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The second one could be used to, for example, sound an alarm for an out of temperature alert and you'd always have a spare on hand. At the price this sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you basically described my build.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/jes...-build-364598/

get a Auber 2352, 20 amp ssr with matching heatsink and whatever probe you want. I chose the cheapest RTD I could find. I dont use a thermometer because the temp is displayed on the PID.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I think I like the idea of just getting 2 of the auber PIDs. It'll look cleaner as they will match. That's a great idea wiring an alarm or light to click on when the temp is out of range with the second controller.

Any thoughts on using a pump to recirculate/stir the water in HLT around the coils. I'd rather not have to buy a second march pump just for that if I don't need to. I'd also rather not rig up a motorized stirring device like Pol's orinigal build. I was looking at the cheap pumps on amazon (http://www.lightobject.com/High-Temp...rade-P709.aspx) but they are DC and looks like they might not be ideal for brewing. However, I have read that some people are happy with them for brewing. I recently found the pumps from Canada (http://greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html).

Should I just buck up and buy 2 march pumps?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what about something like this?

http://www.lightobject.com/High-temp...rade-P711.aspx

it's only $14. just wire it in with a wal wart. its submersible too.

Quick Reply