LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
LKHA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default PID selection

when I built my system the PID of choice was a SYL-2352 and have started to work on plans for my dual fuel system and it seams that the PID of choice has changed to the 2362. Just wondering why?

I have seem some TERRIBLE advice on here in the past few months. I may even be guilty of bad advice myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The PIDs I bought for my Brutus rig really SUCK! Plus the "smart" honeywell intermittent pilot spark ignitors are sometimes too smart. I use it mostly in the dumbest down mode I can choose otherwise it incessantly cycles on and off. I think the brand is ToHo.

Word of advice, is unless you are extremely knowledgable about these devices, get the one with the BEST instruction sheet. Mine is in engRish, not English, and is very confusing.

TD

Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKHA View Post
when I built my system the PID of choice was a SYL-2352 and have started to work on plans for my dual fuel system and it seams that the PID of choice has changed to the 2362. Just wondering why?
How in the world did you come to that conclusion? (SYL-2352 vs SYL-2362)-???
The performance and functions are very different...

Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
LKHA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

that i why asking went with the flow then(09) researching now. the 52 works great and when talking to tech at Auber they are what they suggested, just looking before buying. Can you help explain the differences and your choice thanks in advance.

I have seem some TERRIBLE advice on here in the past few months. I may even be guilty of bad advice myself.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
LKHA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After comparing I will purchase the 62 for new build and use the 52 for gas side of the system.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
drewmedic23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

revisiting this thread a little, I am also choosing between the 2352 and 2362. It seems the 2352 is more popular but I looked at theelectricbrewery.com and they recommend the 2362....any input?
Its going to be for a e-biab

Old 12-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
spkguitar
New Brew Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmedic23 View Post
but I looked at theelectricbrewery.com and they recommend the 2362....any input?
I'm not sure where you saw that information. The only PID recommendation at theelectricbrewery.com is the 2352:

from the Control Panel (Part 1)

Up Next: Alaskan Amber clone, Apfelwein, Hobgoblin Clone
Primary: Hop Harvest SMaSH
Kegged: Dry Stout

My new control panel

Old 12-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
sennister
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

If it has been a while since you looked at them at Auberinst I know they made some changes.

They have a new one (not sure how long it has been out) which has a Ramp/Soak option. This allows you to program a step mash in the PID and let it run. It has a timer built into it to hold at temp XXX for YYY minutes.

This is nice but the problem with that PID is that it doesn't have a manual mode. So that means it is great for a RIMS Tube or HERMS HLT but not for a BK. Well I am assuming you are using this in electric brewing since this is the electric section of the site.

The other one that they offer is the one that doesn't offer the Ramp/Soak feature. You set the temp you want and it goes to that temp and holds there until you change the temp as you would expect. This version does have a manual mode to set the duty cycle for doing a boil. While this one would work for a BK as well as other applications like the RIMS Tube and HERMS HLT, it would be nice to have the other one for those latter two options.

I think the part numbers changed when they came out with the Ramp/Soak PID.

Primary:
Secondary: River Bend Wheat
Kegerator Tap 1: American IPA
Kegerator Tap 2: Red Lager
Kegerator Tap 3: Oatmeal Stout
Kegerator Tap 4: Charged H2O

Old 12-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
drewmedic23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

spkguitar- you are right.....I typed in the wrong website. I should have said ebrewsupply.com
http://www.ebrewsupply.com/designs/P...ctric-BIAB.pdf

sennister- that's pretty cool but its too bad it doesn't have a manual mode.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the 2352 is the way to go...or both

Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
drewmedic23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I just spend a few mins reviewing aubernins website and then called them. They said that both units are acceptable. 2352 is the industry standard and the favorite though 2362 tends to be more user friendly with a few less settings. Also said that 2352 is a traditional PID where the 2362 is a different kind of logic.
Neither of these are the ramp/soak models (sennister, you were right about the lack of a manual mode on these)

Quick Reply