Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > PID PV Temp Jumping all over

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is becoming quite a bugger. I'm going to try jumping the SSR to see what that does, I've ordered a new SSR just in case (as you said, I should have another on hand anyway), and also a new thermocouple. May be a long shot, but if part of this one was submerged it may be causing some problem. An EMI filter would be ideal, but they're starting at $180 from Automation Direct, soooo I'll be trying all of the $5-10 solutions out first.

As for the cables, they come out of different sides of the box, and don't really run together. Also, when I was testing the mash vs. a regular pot (with one working and one not), they were close together and the probe didn't move at all.

It's very strange, and my experience here is limited, but with all the tests I've done I have to believe there's some kind of interference affecting the probe when it's in contact with the elements being powered by the control panel. It should also be noted that BOTH the heatstick and the cooler I've installed the element in do not trip GFCI outlets when plugged straight into them, so I'm confident those are wired/grounded correctly.

Plus side is, although I had to sit there for an hour monitoring my temps (which is why I made this thing in the first place ), had a decent brew day and should have an awesome simcoe/amarillo/galaxy IPA coming up in a few weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

In case anyone was wondering (and because I hate when threads don't have resolutions), this was a real Occam's razor situation...it was the temp probe. I guess it got submerged or something, I replaced it, and boom, problem solved. I'm really not sure why it worked perfectly in other scenarios but not the HLT/MLT, but the new probe is in and it's right on the money. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write up helpful suggestions; the day I stop learning stuff is the day I quit.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 660 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for taking the time to post the resolution. I'll be hoisting a pint to old William (and suggest you do the same).

Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Excellent historical reference.

Quick Reply