PID problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhuntah

Reaction score
Finished my panel today and when I went to test it my main breaker blew when I switched on the PIDS. After some troubleshooting, I disconnected everything from both PIDS and bypassed the switch. I ran wires straight from my neutral and hot bus to the PIDS and they still trip the breaker. Am I missing something hear??? BTW, they're both brand new.

Have you checked your ground on anything that is grounded? I know the PID's aren't but they're connected to your element and such, is that all grounded?

I'd start by removing some things, like take off the element (careful not to leave bare live wires or anything!) and see if your breaker blows still. Once it doesn't, the last thing you removed is causing the issue.

Very little chance your PID's themselves are causing it unless you've got them wired totally wrong, but since they only take 2 wires to power up that's likely not it.

bowhuntah,

Quick question for you. Do you have an E-Stop wired into your panel? If you do, what type switch is it - N/C push button or a N/O push button switch. (And is it a locking PB switch?)

P-J

Are you sure you are using the correct terminals ?
#9 and #10 from my spec.

Ohm out the terminals - with the power off & disconnected. What value do you get?
Since you're blowing the breaker, it would have to be 4 or less ohms.

Looks like it's my breaker. I installed a GFCI breaker in my breaker box to power my control panel. If I wire it to a different breaker it works fine. I went as far as wiring the PID directly to the breaker and it still trips.

Looks like it's my breaker. I installed a GFCI breaker in my breaker box to power my control panel. If I wire it to a different breaker it works fine. I went as far as wiring the PID directly to the breaker and it still trips.

This does not necessarily mean that your breaker is bad.

Your were tripping the GFCI breaker.
You are not tripping a normal breaker.

You could have a ground fault, but a normal breaker will not trip when there is ground fault.

Wire a power cord to the PID and plug it into a 120V FCGI outlet in your house somewhere and see if THAT causes the GFCI in the outlet to trip. That will rule out a ground fault in the PID and point the finger at the GFCI breaker.

Problem solved. I mistakenly wired the load neutral to my CB panel bus instead of the breaker neutral.

Back