New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > PID help




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
stiverp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florence, South Carolina
Posts: 5
Default PID help

I am new to your forum and though I drink a beer or two I do not brew. I do smoke a lot of meats. I need help with a PID I'm trying to attach to my smoker. I've tried by the manual and looking around the inet. What I am trying to do is when the temp drops on the smoker I want the fan to come on and stoke the fire until the temp returns. The fan will come on but it will not cut off. I have changed settings and still nothing. I'm guessing at this point I have the programming a little screwed up. It is a MYPIN TA6 with SSR and K type probe, here is a link I found on here for the wiring and it matches what came with mine. http://www.agptek.com/software/PC5-2012-latest-manual.pdf
The fan I'm using is 120vac. Any help would be appreciated as I am stumped.



__________________
stiverp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
amurphyz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 60
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

How many amps is your fan pulling? Looks like your pid will handle up to 3 amps on the main output, if the fan is lower than that, why not eliminate the ssr? If your fan is wired through the ssr, I don't understand why the ssr is not shutting the fan off????



__________________
amurphyz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
audger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ., Connecticut
Posts: 1,478
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

first check that you dont have the polarity of the SSR signal wires reversed. they are directional.

__________________
audger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
stlbeer
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Posts: 841
Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurphyz View Post
How many amps is your fan pulling? Looks like your pid will handle up to 3 amps on the main output, if the fan is lower than that, why not eliminate the ssr? If your fan is wired through the ssr, I don't understand why the ssr is not shutting the fan off????

SSR's are solid state devices. When they fail, they usually fail closed allowing current to flow through them.
__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build
stlbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
stiverp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florence, South Carolina
Posts: 5
Default

The PID is showing constant output to the SSR. I don't think the components are the problem. I don't know what I'm doing and I think it's programming. That's where I need some education. It didn't look that hard at first. Years ago I had a good grasp on electronics but this has surpassed me. It didn't seem like it would be so hard to ask it to come on below 170F and cut off before 200F. The fan is 220ma at 20w max. Thanks for the input. I'm in listening and learning mode.

__________________
stiverp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
P-J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,154
Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Default

Sounds like you should have gotten one of these 2 products from Auber Instruments:
Temperature Controller for Weber Smokey Mountain
Temperature Controller for Charcoal Barrel Smoker 20 CFM

Wish I could help you with your PID/SSR problem but I don't have a clue about that particular PID.

I hope you are successful figuring it out.

__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
stlbeer
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Posts: 841
Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiverp View Post
The PID is showing constant output to the SSR. I don't think the components are the problem. I don't know what I'm doing and I think it's programming. That's where I need some education. It didn't look that hard at first. Years ago I had a good grasp on electronics but this has surpassed me. It didn't seem like it would be so hard to ask it to come on below 170F and cut off before 200F. The fan is 220ma at 20w max. Thanks for the input. I'm in listening and learning mode.

I've reviewed the setup PDF and if you could show me the settings already programmed into the PID, I'll do my level best to help you out. I would think that so long as your SV is higher than your PV, and it's configured for heat (OUD=HEAT), and you've got the correct probe (INP=K) then it's going to be calling for heat.

One thing you can try is to set the SV to something less than room temp, like 68*f. Since it is warmer in the room, the PID should turn off i.e. the OUT light will be off. Or something like that.
__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build
stlbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
stiverp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florence, South Carolina
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer View Post
I've reviewed the setup PDF and if you could show me the settings already programmed into the PID, I'll do my level best to help you out. I would think that so long as your SV is higher than your PV, and it's configured for heat (OUD=HEAT), and you've got the correct probe (INP=K) then it's going to be calling for heat.

One thing you can try is to set the SV to something less than room temp, like 68*f. Since it is warmer in the room, the PID should turn off i.e. the OUT light will be off. Or something like that.
Here is the programming and wiring

ALM 1 500
ABSOLUTE HIGH (2)

ALM 2 160
ABSOLUTE LOW (3)

PVF 5

INP K

P 30
I 240
D 60

HYS 1

CEL 001 (SSR)

TRL 0

TRH 100

BSL TSL (PID)

C/F F

LCK 000
___________________WIRING
AC 1
2

+ 6 SSR
- 7

+ 11 TC
- 12
__________________
stiverp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
wottaguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wottaguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: , FL
Posts: 74
Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

stiverp...what model/type of SSR are you using and what would be the control side voltage requirements of it? If it has a 4-20mA requirement, by the looks of the PDF the SSR should be wired to terminals 6 & 8 which is NO (normally open). Please correct me if i'm wrong..!

Also, you indicated that your TC is connected to terminals +11/-12. From what the PDF indicates in the diagram for models TA6/8, it looks like the TC K type probe, should be connected to terminals -9/+10.

I may be mistaken with these points, but I think you should recheck and or try out the suggestions above. Hope this might help you.

Good luck and I hope you get it working.

__________________
wottaguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
stlbeer
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Posts: 841
Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

Wottaguy, I have to agree with you. It certainly looks like it's not wired right.

Stiverp - I didn't see the setting for parameter oUd. I suppose it's HEAT? Also, did you run the autotuning of the PID?



__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build
stlbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes