LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
JWS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default PID for Boil Question

Alright, I'm getting ready to start setting up my E-HERMS system. Currently I am using propane so slowly buying everything for the electric system. I currently have a 50amp breaker running to my garage for the brewing.

I have a question on PID's for the system. I know I will need to use one for the HLT to get everything up to temp and hold it, but my question is do you actually need a PID for the Boil kettle?

I have seen people talking about dumbing down the power (85% or 65%) on the PID to maintain rolling boil, but I'm wondering couldn't you just run the element full blast?

The only thing I can think of is it will have a higher boil off rate, but as long as you establish that before brewing the first time, then you should be able to get a correct preboil volume to compensate.

I currently do 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle so I have no worry of boilovers. Could anyone let me know what the disadvantages would be to having the boil kettle element run full blast for the Boil?

Thanks in advance.

Primary- Air
Secondary- Air

Keg 1- Schitzngiggle Oktoberfest
Keg 2- Flat Tire Amber Ale
Keg 3- Twisted Pumpkin Ale
Keg 4- A Night in Vegas APA

Bottled- Summer Saison, Bohemian Dunkel, Second Shot Irish Ale, The Kraken Barleywine

On Deck- Schwarzbier, Snooty Fox Brown Ale, HOP-Head IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you don't need a PID, a PWM circuit would do the same thing... but you'll want to control it somehow, especially with something like a 4500 or 5500 watt element. you can use the same PID for both functions.

Option 1: use a contactor to switch the output of the pid from outlet 1 (HLT plug) to outlet 2 (BK plug)

Option 2: put a single outlet in the control box and unplug the HLT, plug in the BK.

Option 3: use a PWM circuit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply