The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Opinions Needed On My Electric Brewery Plans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
raskal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Opinions Needed On My Electric Brewery Plans

Hello All,

so after doing many stovetop 5 gallon batches, with good response, I thought it would be a great idea to brew all the beer for my upcoming wedding. In retrospect it would most likely be easier/cheaper to buy it but where is the fun in that.

Over the past couple of months I have been planning and acquiring the hardware for the liquid process, now Id like to bounce ideas off of the experts here for the control panel and setup.

What I have is:

A 5ft SS Prep Table
~13 Gallon "Keggle" HLT with Thermometer and sight glass
~55? qt Cooler as a Mashtun
15.5 Gal Keggle BK
1 March Pump
CF Wort Chiller
All of quick disconnects

You can see the components here:

http://www.brewmunity.com/home/75-tr...=13#photoid=44

So my plan is to heat in the HLT, Pump to MT, Batch Sparge, Pump to BK, Cool to fermenter.

My questions are:

I can already see how I will benefit from another pump, but is it absolutely necessary? I could lift the runnings into the BK.

My plan was to have 2 5500W elements, one for HLT, one for BK, I would also like to control the pump, an exhaust fan and have a timer in the control box, I'm still researching but off the top of anyones head do they know a diagram that fits that bill?

My plan is to wire in a spa panel, that can be plugged into my dryer outlet. I will also have hard water lines plumbed to the table location, and an exhaust fan overhead. With the ultimate goal of having a quick disconnect for power, and water, and the ability to move the table if needed.

Lastly, being so close to the project, with a new set of eyes am I missing anything?

TIA for all your help!

Travis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
omockler
Recipes 

That sounds pretty much like the system I just got done building. I used this diagram from P-J, you would just need to add a timer to it. As for having an extra pump, I only have one right now and it is working out for me but it would be nice to have another one so that I could start fly sparging.

auberin-wiring1-a4-4500w-30g-e-stop-s.jpg  

-bottled/kegged-
Savannah Peach ~ Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

If you plan to batch sparge, you really don't need more than just the one pump. What do you mean by "lift the runnings to the BK"? Pump the sparge water into the MLT, them pump the runnings into the BK. Rinse/repeat if you're doing two sparges.
I'm getting about 80-85% efficiency batch sparging, I'm never going back to fly sparging.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Copperpots_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The only major advantage to having two pumps, that I can see, is the ability to continuous or fly Sparge. I have a single tier set up similar to yours, only it's not electric, and I only use one March pump. I haven't seen too many reasons to get more than one pump for now, doesn't seem worth the money.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
raskal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omockler View Post
. I used this diagram from P-J, you would just need to add a timer to it.
Do you have the full size of that one?

Have you started building it? Any Idea on overall cost?

Regarding the control box, im very novice with electricity. Is is possible to add in a couple 120V outlets for the fan or some other receptacle , in addition to the pump? I would assume its just adding some more connections and fitting it into the project box.

And My mistake on that last part, I would pump from MT to BK. I guess Ill keep an eye out and if I can find a good deal that would be great, if not its not a big deal.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
omockler
Recipes 

I do have the full sized one but I think it is on my computer at home. I just finished building mine this weekend. I'm not sure how much it cost me in total but I tried to keep it pretty cheap.

Here is my build, I'll put up some more pictures and some of the parts I used when I get home from work tonight.

You can add as many 120v outlets to your control panel as you want as long as you keep in mind how much current each additional item will be consuming. i.e. I run a 5500w element so that alone will draw around 23 amps and I am on a 30 amp circuit so everything else plugged into my control box shouldn't pull more than 2-3 amps combined to be safe.

As for the pump issue, I would say that batch sparging has worked just fine for me, and one pump works well for that. Due to my pumps capacity and needing to run my sparge very slowly I think fly sparging would improve my process. Either way works just fine, you will just have to see what you think will work best for you.

Edit:Here is a bigger version of that diagram without the e-stop circuit

-bottled/kegged-
Savannah Peach ~ Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
raskal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

/\ Thanks! That does look alot like what im going for. Cant wait to see some additional pictures and thanks in advance for uploading those docs.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Subscribed because this sounds exactly like my setup, check out the link in my sig. Just realized I don’t have a wiring diagram on my link, but I am using the same as omockler. 25A DPDT switch to make sure only one element fires at a time.

I originally planned on going with only one pump but I scored a good deal on chugger pumps so I went with 2. I don’t plan on fly sparging but I figure the extra pump will be used for recirculating to optimized heat exchanging: recirc HLT water to agitate water around the HEX, and recirc BK wort to agitate wort around immersion chiller. An extra pump is also good to have around in case you have issues with the first. I plan on leaving the HEX/immersion chiller disconnected so I can use the same coil in the HLT/BK.

I am working on my control panel this week so I should have some significant updates. Plan is to be up and ready to brew the last weekend of April.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
raskal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Does anyone have any opinion on 4500/5500W heaters? How much time difference are we talking vs the extra power usage?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I don’t have any personal experience, but I have seen people on here and other places that use 4500 watt elements for 10 gallon brews. With that being said, I would go with 5500 if you are planning on only needing to run one element at a time, especially if you have a 30 or 40 amp circuit. A 30 or 40 amp circuit will allow only one element running at the same time for either 4500 or 5500 watts, and the cost between the two are not very different.

The only time I can see using 4500 watt elements is if you have a 50 amp circuit and want to run them both at the same time (back to back batches or if you want to get a jump on the boil during sparging).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply