Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > OK Im completely bat-crap confused. Help with an E-Herms setup

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

there is a high inrush current when starting an electric motor, so you might very well be using more power than me.... depending on how often your pump kicks on.

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 755
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
My probe is mounted on the output of the coil to monitor wort as it comes back to the MLT. I don't care what temp the HLT is, as long as my mash is right.

So, the PID monitors the returning wort, and heats the HLT if necessary to get that wort where I want it.

My pump constantly runs.
do you have any problems with overshooting? if the MLT was too low, does the heat of the HLT get too hot, leading your MLT output to being too hot? how do you account for this?
__________________
slakwhere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
do you have any problems with overshooting? if the MLT was too low, does the heat of the HLT get too hot, leading your MLT output to being too hot? how do you account for this?
I've not had any overshoot problems at all. It works perfectly.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 755
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

any info on your temp sensor setup on the output of the coil? pics?

__________________
slakwhere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
any info on your temp sensor setup on the output of the coil? pics?
It's fairly common to put the sensor on the coil output (I took a poll about this before building my system and those that responded preferred that location over one directly in the HLT or MLT).

I just used a few pieces of copper soldered to the end of the coil to make a chamber where I could screw in the probe.

These are the parts, sort of laid out like they need to be soldered together. The reducer is option, depending on whether your coil is smaller than 1/2" or not.



Here's an actual pic of mine (which uses slightly different parts than shown in the pic above because the probe I use is enormous), so I came from 1/2" out to 3/4" for chamber.



Anyway.... use whatever parts make sense for your probe and coil. This is the general idea though.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

another pic for the one a guy I know needs to build.

3/8" OD coil expanding to 1/2" tee with a 1/4" threaded part for his probe.

wort comes out of coil, into chamber (touching probe) and then wort exits out the bottom of the T to your hose and back to the MLT.

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #17
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 755
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

that is exactly what i needed! thanks, Walker!

__________________
slakwhere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 3,944
Liked 769 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
My probe is mounted on the output of the coil to monitor wort as it comes back to the MLT. I don't care what temp the HLT is, as long as my mash is right.

So, the PID monitors the returning wort, and heats the HLT if necessary to get that wort where I want it.

My pump constantly runs.
I'm not saying there is a right or wrong way...but I monitor mash temp when the wort exits the mlt. I have a 60 foot 3/8 hex coil which is efficient enough to raise the wort to mashout in one pass. So I know what the temp is coming out of the coil...exactly what my hlt is set.

One thing I have observed is that it takes a while for the output of the mlt to match the output of the hex coil. It heats from the top down. If I didn't monitor as I do, I would have to guess when the whole mash was at temp.

It takes about 15 minutes to raise a 10 gallon batch to mashout on my system.
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Agreed. There is no right or wrong way and the MLT heats from top to bottom.

On my first 4 or 5 batches, I used three thermometers to see what my temps looked like.

1) Pid probe at output of coil
2) Digital probe thermometer in a thermowell that stuck into the middle of my grain bed
3) floating glass thermometer pushed all the way down into the grainbed to measure the temp at the bottom of the MLT

These were all within 1*F of each other.

Do whatever works.

I do like the probe on the coil for chilling, too. I chill by pumping wort through the coil (backwards) and have the coil in an ice water bath. I go through the coil and then right back into the kettle.

When chilling, the probe is then monitoring the wort temp as it comes out of the kettle, so I just circulate until the probe tells me I'm at pitching temp.

I tried to be as minimal as possible, so that one probe is all I need for the whole process.

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 3,944
Liked 769 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
Agreed. There is no right or wrong way and the MLT heats from top to bottom.

On my first 4 or 5 batches, I used three thermometers to see what my temps looked like.

1) Pid probe at output of coil
2) Digital probe thermometer in a thermowell that stuck into the middle of my grain bed
3) floating glass thermometer pushed all the way down into the grainbed to measure the temp at the bottom of the MLT

These were all within 1*F of each other.

Do whatever works.

I do like the probe on the coil for chilling, too. I chill by pumping wort through the coil (backwards) and have the coil in an ice water bath. I go through the coil and then right back into the kettle.

When chilling, the probe is then monitoring the wort temp as it comes out of the kettle, so I just circulate until the probe tells me I'm at pitching temp.

I tried to be as minimal as possible, so that one probe is all I need for the whole process.
I like minimal. Less things to go wrong but just enough to get the job done.

I never considered chilling. My system is not set up that way. I am sure you are doing what works best for your system.
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My E-HERMS build pix sambogi76 Electric Brewing 5 02-21-2012 02:38 AM
My E-HERMS Setup HDIr0n Electric Brewing 5 03-01-2011 02:50 PM
Little confused about SSR Wiring diagram HossTheGreat Electric Brewing 9 02-11-2011 09:34 PM
Alright Im confused redman67 Electric Brewing 5 11-28-2010 10:37 PM
The Herms Gate f404 Electric Brewing 15 11-18-2010 06:16 PM