The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Non-Rims/Herms E-Build?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
TravelingBrewer22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Non-Rims/Herms E-Build?

I pretty sure that I want to go electric with my new single tier stand instead of propane or natural gas - and that this may be a redundant or stupid question - but I would appreciate any help/advice you guys can offer me. Is it possible to have an electric setup that is not necessarily rims or herms? All I'm thinking that I want (and can afford!) is a simple automated system with a basic control panel to regulate heating elements and pump. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since you can't put the heating element in the mash, you need to remove the wort from the mash to heat it and then put it back. Rims / herms or other will all have that same basic function.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm working on a herms system myself, and the first thing that comes to mind is how will you maintain your mash temps? My guess is you would need some kind of insulated vessel, like the igloo cooler that a lot of non-electric people use. People use rims/herms to control and maintain temps because an element in direct contact with grain will burn the grain.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
TravelingBrewer22
Recipes 

yeah, im def a moron with a one track mind. Not sure why but I was only thinking of the BK and totally forgot about the mash. I have 3 keggles that I need to outfit for the e-build which is why i'm trying to figure out what setup will work the best. I know the RIMS setup has a ss tube that the wort circulates through. What about HERMS?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Gussymo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can't put an element in the mash? I have one in mine. It is under a false bottom. I've only brewed 2 batches with it so far but it is working great. No scorching at all. You have to continuously recirculate.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."
-Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just use a cooler for your mash. Heat an HLT, pump to the cooler, then drain to BK. I guess you could pump to a BK if you set it up right. Or do a 2 tier.

That would work, right?

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A good example of a 3 kettle herms system can be seen at theelectricbrewery.com, but that is not the place to look if you are trying to do it on the cheap. It will show you how a herms system works though.

I would guess that a BIAB electric system would be your cheapest route. I'm not too familiar with that method, but maybe someone else can chime in, or do a quick search.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You can use an insulated cooler for an MLT and use a PID+element to heat water and boil. You don't need to build a circulating mash system if your MLT is well insulated.

Buddy of mine just built a PID-controlled electric kettle, and that's how he brews. The electric just replaces propane for him and the PID gives him the ability to heat water to a precise temp and control the strength of his boil.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
TravelingBrewer22
Recipes 

@walker. I guess that's what I was hoping to do in both the BK and MLT. Under a false bottom is an interesting idea too. i have absolutely no electrical knowledge which is why i need a basic ebuild.

ive checked out kal's site but the $$$ is too crazy for me plus i have no idea what the hell is going on with all the wiring and stuff

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBrewer22 View Post
ive checked out kal's site but the $$$ is too crazy for me plus i have no idea what the hell is going on with all the wiring and stuff
I hear you. I like Kal, and his system is definitely pretty sweet, but I am sometimes floored when people come on here asking for help with an electric system and they are then instructed to look at Kal's site as a reference. There's WAY too much going on in his system.

i think of Kal's system as a "finishing point" and not a "beginning point".

Quick Reply