New Gadget Can Help With Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ido50

Reaction score
So while browsing uncrate.com today I noticed the Numiko, a kickstarter project for an immersion circulator that heats and maintains water at a specific temperature accurately.

At first I was certain this could not be used for boiling, but the FAQ makes me wonder if this gadget might work. Specifically, this Q&A:

What is the minimum and maximum temperatures that the unit can maintain (and in what volume(s) of water)?

The unit can work from 0°C to 100°C. One Nomiku should be able to maintain the temperature of 5 gallons of water, depending on the pot and environment.

What do you think? Disregarding the price (which is high), do you think this thing has any chance of being used for home brewing?

At that price, it would be a tough sell. But for Sou Vide cooking, that thing is quite neat.

It's basically a fancy heatstick with a PID built in. For the kitchen gadget buyer, it's a nice product, for the homebrewer, there's cheaper options.

Just build a heatstick with a PID and an SSR. probably cost you under $100

Hmmm it seems the Numiko thingie does much more than a PID controller. In one unit that you can hang in a pot, it circulates AND heats. That thing is awesome I would definitely cash up for it if I was building something.

You could recirc your mash or sparge water and maintain temp, with the circulation taking care of stratification.

You could assist a stovetop boil and probably manage a full 6 gallons. This could be the future of small batch electric brewing :D I hate having a separate pump and/or heatstick and this could eliminate both and look cool and phallic at the same time! That's a win ..

Back